Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laserjet printing strange icons

I'm posting at Apple because in trying to fix the problem with the printer I ran into conflicts between OS X and the HP utilities.

Initial Problem

The HP Laserjet Pro M102w attached to my iMac has started printing icons down the right hand side of the page.

The only recent change I can identify is that I had to change the cartridge but I used genuine a HP component so I'm assuming there were no problems there.

Initially I turned the printer off, disconnected from power and left the printer disconnected for 10 minutes but when it was reconnected the problem was still there.

My research into causes only surfaced the possibility that there might be a problem with the driver. 

Problems with Reinstalling the Printer Driver

I understand that to update the driver I need to use the Easy Admin HP utility. However, my Mac refuses to install the utility with a disturbing message saying that the program will damage the computer. There is no other explanation and no suggestions as to what else to do.

At this point I've stalled, not sure what other approaches I could use in trouble shooting or trying to replace the driver.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the the cause of the problem with the icons appearing down the right hand side of the page OR how to deal with the driver update utility problem.

Thanks

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 4:11 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 19, 2021 4:51 PM in response to dorich

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 19, 2021 5:52 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your response.

MrHoffman wrote:

There is a firmware update (20201023) for that printer from last year.

Is your printer firmware current?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m102-printer-series/9365392/model/9365394

When I download the file I get the following response from the system:

“HP Firmware Updater” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I don't recall how get around this.

May not be important but note I'm in a "User" account not an "admin" account.

Normally this wouldn't matter since the user is asked for "admin" credentials.

HP Laserjet printing strange icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.