Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I copy and paste on my MacBook Pro?

Hi: For the past couple of days I have been unable to copy and paste anything on my MacBook Pro (2015 era, Retina, 15-inch). At first I thought it was some sort of feature or block on a website where I was trying to paste a quote into a comment I was making. I couldn't paste it either by Control-v or 'paste' on the drop-down menu. But today I tried to copy a url and paste it into an email I was composing. No-go. So then as a test I tried copying and pasting my own text from an email into a new email (so no websites involved) and it would not paste. Ditto on photos. They won't copy and paste. So this is obviously something going on with the computer or keyboard (built-in) that it's not allowing me to copy and paste regardless of what it is or where it originated. Is this a setting maybe? I've had this computer a lot and copy and paste a lot and never an issue until now. I've tried both ways of copying -- Cntl c and 'copy' from drop-down menu, as well as both ways of pasting. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 5:22 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 20, 2021 6:01 AM in response to Phinney

Yes, that usually means some third party software is interfering with the operating system. This can happen via a login item (System Preferences, Users & Groups) or some items that an app installs to launch at login. To see these it might be easiest to run that etrecheck thing I mentioned.

Oct 20, 2021 6:04 AM in response to CT

Thanks a lot. Wow, I wonder what's going on. Some bad actor got into my computer and is wrecking havoc. My computer has been unbelievably slow lately. Like it takes forever to load pages and even long delays in actions such as clicking on drop-downs kicking in. I wonder if that's related. I feel like I'm in the 1990s waiting for pages to load. I'll try etre check.

Why can't I copy and paste on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.