Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older iMac Early 2009 - apps not working, connectivity?

Hello. Our older iMac Early 2009 is experiencing issues: Mail accounts aren't working, and Safari won't connect. In Mail, the iCloud account still sends/receives email, but our other email accounts work intermittently, or not at all. Safari won't connect, and neither will Firefox. Across the room, our 2019 iMac is not experiencing any issues with Mail, or wifi connectivity.

I've tried deleting and re-entering Mail accounts, and tried deleting cache, history, and rebooting the computer multiple times.

The storage is almost full. Would nearly full storage cause issues in apps?

Is this common for older iMacs, that the apps just begin to "not work" anymore?

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 10:44 AM

Thanks for all this detailed information, tips, and suggestions!

I think freeing up some storage has helped all the applications. We're going to retire this Mac soon anyhow, but it's good to know there isn't some other issue going on that might endanger our data. Of course, we backup, but....

thanks so much!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 10:44 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for all this detailed information, tips, and suggestions!

I think freeing up some storage has helped all the applications. We're going to retire this Mac soon anyhow, but it's good to know there isn't some other issue going on that might endanger our data. Of course, we backup, but....

thanks so much!

Oct 20, 2021 7:30 AM in response to OffLeash

There was an issue recently where the certificates that allow you to connect to various websites expired

on the 30th Sept 2021, these certificates can be updated to newer ones. I can give you instructions if you want.

It may be the companies running your Mail accounts have updated their mail applications and they now require

newer OS's to function.

Never let your mac run low on free space/ storage, if it runs too low it your mac can lock up and become unusable.

It is advised to keep at least 20GBs of free space on your mac, the mac needs to do its own housekeeping.

Are you running any anti-virus apps, these are completely unnecessary on macs and should be uninstalled

according to the developers instructions. The same goes for any apps that claim to clean, optimise, speed up

or promise you all sorts of benefits. Mostly they just interfere with the macs own management of itself.

Download, install and run this app, https://etrecheck.com this will generate a report on your mac which you can post

back here using the Additional Text button on the Toolbar at the bottom of the Reply window here.

Etrecheck is used a lot in these communities to diagnose problems with macs, the software was written by a frequent

contributor to these communities. The report does not include any personal information.

It may also be worth downloading, installing and running this app to check the health of your macs HD,

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx there is a free trial period.

It is usual for companies eventually give up supporting older apps on older OS's.

Apple only support their OS's for 3 years and call their macs obsolete after 5 years

if not before.

I still use Mac OS X El Capitan but do not experience the problems you are.

Older iMac Early 2009 - apps not working, connectivity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.