Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Padlock appearing on MacBook screen

Hi ... I'm using a MacBook Pro ... I restarted my laptop and now I'm getting this padlock icon ... Can't login ... Please Help! ... Thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 1:08 PM

There is a support article toward resolving this issue:

• If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

"If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue."

While that may or not be simple, it may suffice.

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 1:08 PM in response to HJ027

There is a support article toward resolving this issue:

• If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

"If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue."

While that may or not be simple, it may suffice.

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Padlock appearing on MacBook screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.