Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the same Time Machine to back up different macOS?

I use Time Machine to back up an iMac (externally) operating El Capitan. Can I use the same Time Machine to do back ups with a different iMac operating with Big Sur. There is space in the external hard drive for both iMac's.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 4:07 PM

You should not put two different backups on the same drive; for one thing, TM will eventually fill up the space and, in the process, most likely delete all/part of your other backup. And, for another reason: never put all your eggs in the same basket: all hard drives fail sooner or later, so you'd lost two different backups at the same time. Not a good idea.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 4:07 PM in response to parjem

You should not put two different backups on the same drive; for one thing, TM will eventually fill up the space and, in the process, most likely delete all/part of your other backup. And, for another reason: never put all your eggs in the same basket: all hard drives fail sooner or later, so you'd lost two different backups at the same time. Not a good idea.

Can I use the same Time Machine to back up different macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.