Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panic Restarts Random

Hi,

I've been having completely random restarts on a MacBook Pro 16 running Big Sur 11.6. 2.3 GHz 8Core i9 with 16 GB Ram.

I've been into the Apple Store here in Toronto once and no issues were found. I have another appointment today and am concerned that they will again not be able to find the problem.....just in time for my support to run out in November!!!

Since it doesn't seem to have a cause (completely random), what recourse do I have? I make my living with this machine and these random crashes are no longer acceptable or workable in my work environment.

I've encoded the error text.

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 10:50 AM

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

--------

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

————

Take look at your other reports. What you are trying to determine is whether there is a TREND.

Case A) There is a trend: This same panic occurs in each case, with the same extensions present, in the same BSD process. A trend can indicate corrupted software or a Hardware problem that can be tracked down and solved.

Case B) There is a decided NON-Trend. The panics occur "all over the Map" for different panic reasons and in different BSD processes, with different extensions present.

A Non-trend suggests you may have RAM memory problems. MacOS slightly randomizes the load point of key routines on each startup, as a hedge against fixed-address attacks. This causes a marginal memory cell to move into different routines each time your Mac starts up.

If the above is just "word-salad" to you, just ask and Readers can explain a bit more.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 10:50 AM in response to BWenzTO

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

--------

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

————

Take look at your other reports. What you are trying to determine is whether there is a TREND.

Case A) There is a trend: This same panic occurs in each case, with the same extensions present, in the same BSD process. A trend can indicate corrupted software or a Hardware problem that can be tracked down and solved.

Case B) There is a decided NON-Trend. The panics occur "all over the Map" for different panic reasons and in different BSD processes, with different extensions present.

A Non-trend suggests you may have RAM memory problems. MacOS slightly randomizes the load point of key routines on each startup, as a hedge against fixed-address attacks. This causes a marginal memory cell to move into different routines each time your Mac starts up.

If the above is just "word-salad" to you, just ask and Readers can explain a bit more.

Oct 21, 2021 8:53 AM in response to BWenzTO

There is a cause; even random events have causes. What other problems, if any, have you been having? Have you made any system changes lately? Installed any new software? Recently upgraded your OS?

Please supply full details on your Mac; without that assistance is hampered. What you find in "About This Mac" is a good start. I'd suggest you backup immediately if you haven't already.

Oct 21, 2021 9:09 AM in response to BWenzTO

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 1554.140.20.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14759.0.1,0)

Serial Number (system): C02DH0L9MD6N

Hardware UUID: E738B029-74D5-5342-A93B-CE07B68A546C

Provisioning UDID: E738B029-74D5-5342-A93B-CE07B68A546C

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Panic Restarts Random

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.