Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error - panic

Sometimes, when I open my MacBook Pro I get a notification that it was shut down due to an error.

I performed a factory reset hoping that this will clear the issue but a couple of days later the same thing happened.

Then when I check the details I get a list of things that I personally don't understand.

The first few lines are:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f9e5488b4): "[IGPU] sendHostToGucMessage: Firmware communication error: no action response!\n" @IGGuC.cpp:3743

Panicked task 0xffffff869a1e4350: 7 threads: pid 1: launchd

Backtrace (CPU 0), panicked thread: 0xffffff90324ad000, Frame : Return Address

I own a 2020 MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey.

Please keep in mind that my knowledge over OS and hardware is a bit limited

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 28, 2022 6:03 PM in response to _Constantinos_

"IGPU" means Integrated GPU, so the issue is related to the graphics chip or possibly some third party software you have installed. It helps to post the entire Kernel Panic log so that we can see the backtrace as well. It is also best to post several Kernel Panic logs so that we can see if there is a pattern to the crashes. The Kernel Panic logs are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" and the file name begins with "kernel" and ends in ".panic". Post the logs here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more information including a summary of the logs.

You can also try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. A passing diagnostic does not mean the hardware is good.

Mar 1, 2022 5:27 AM in response to _Constantinos_

I don't see any third party drivers in the backtrace so you most likely have a hardware issue. Make sure macOS is completely up to date and disconnect all external devices. If this happens with a clean install (erased drive, reinstall macOS without migrating/restoring from backup, then it is most likely a hardware issue). You could try reinstalling an older version of macOS (Big Sur, possibly Catalina) to see if you still have the problem in case it is some bug with Monterey (I have not seen or heard of anyone having this IGPU panic).

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Error - panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.