Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use green screen on an object – not background

For an instructional video, I want to record a person next to an easel, and then project content on the easel in post production.

Can I achieve that using the green screen technique, or would you advice another approach? Can it be done in iMovie?

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 1:47 AM

Yes and No!

Cover the easel board in green cloth etc.

Film the scene.

In iMovie add the green screen keyer and put the "projected" material on the track above.

However, the bit showing on the easel may not be appropriate and unfortunately in iMovie you cannot easily reduce the size of the image or reposition it.

For that you need something like Final Cut Pro which costs £250.

Alternatively there is an even better app called Davinci Resolve which is completely FREE but you do need at least Catalina and an i5 Mac.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 1:47 AM in response to rkranendonk

Yes and No!

Cover the easel board in green cloth etc.

Film the scene.

In iMovie add the green screen keyer and put the "projected" material on the track above.

However, the bit showing on the easel may not be appropriate and unfortunately in iMovie you cannot easily reduce the size of the image or reposition it.

For that you need something like Final Cut Pro which costs £250.

Alternatively there is an even better app called Davinci Resolve which is completely FREE but you do need at least Catalina and an i5 Mac.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Oct 22, 2021 2:29 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

... so unless the projected content has exactly the right proportions, it will look rather unnatural and artefacts may occur.

That DaVinci Resolve software looks great, but unfortunately I have an M1 with 8 GB and a quick Google search indicates that it 'might just work' which makes me feel uncomfortable.

I'll think it over a bit more, maybe I'll try a picture-in-picture approach for the content. Open to further suggestions.

Thanks for your answer though, to the point and informative.

Use green screen on an object – not background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.