Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crash and reboot when the computer enters sleep mode or low power mode.

This happened after upgrading to Big Sur. I spent two days on the phone with apple trying to diagnose the problem. They finally had me erase the hard drive and reinstall Big Sur. Same problem. They thought it might be a hardware problem and recommended I take to an authorized Apple repair shop. The repair shop ran a full diagnostic. no problems. They stripped the hard drive again and reinstalled Big Sur. The problem is still there.

Whenever the computer goes into the low power state via sleep mode or time out, within about 30 seconds, I got a message there has been a problem and the computer will reboot. After reboot it generates an error report. This cycle will continue to repeat every time the computer enters the low power state. My only solution at this point is to shut down the commuter after use, not a very good option. The folks at the repair center thinks it is a bug in Big Sur. They are going to reinstall Catalina and see if that solves the problem. Any Ideas?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 9:37 AM

BobT4 wrote:

This happened after upgrading to Big Sur. I spent two days on the phone with apple trying to diagnose the problem. They finally had me erase the hard drive and reinstall Big Sur. Same problem. They thought it might be a hardware problem and recommended I take to an authorized Apple repair shop. The repair shop ran a full diagnostic. no problems. They stripped the hard drive again and reinstalled Big Sur. The problem is still there.

Whenever the computer goes into the low power state via sleep mode or time out, within about 30 seconds, I got a message there has been a problem and the computer will reboot. After reboot it generates an error report. This cycle will continue to repeat every time the computer enters the low power state. My only solution at this point is to shut down the commuter after use, not a very good option.

The folks at the repair center thinks it is a bug in Big Sur. They are going to reinstall Catalina and see if that solves the problem.

yes— follow the advise from your official Apple Support

The only software control you have on an Intel Mac would be to

resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2021 9:37 AM in response to BobT4

BobT4 wrote:

Whenever the computer goes into the low power state via sleep mode or time out, within about 30 seconds, I got a message there has been a problem and the computer will reboot. After reboot it generates an error report. This cycle will continue to repeat every time the computer enters the low power state. My only solution at this point is to shut down the commuter after use, not a very good option.

The folks at the repair center thinks it is a bug in Big Sur. They are going to reinstall Catalina and see if that solves the problem.

yes— follow the advise from your official Apple Support

The only software control you have on an Intel Mac would be to

resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

Oct 23, 2021 2:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

The apple repair center just called and told me installing Catalina had no effect on the problem. They did reset the SMC & NVRAM/PRAM with no effect. They believe there is something corrupted on the logic board. That would cost me $600. I feel that would be a shot in the dark since all the hardware diagnostics indicates everything is fine. I guess I'm stuck with powering it down when I'm done using it.

Thanks for your interest and advice on the problem.

Crash and reboot when the computer enters sleep mode or low power mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.