Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer was restarted because of a problem

Since updating my iMac 2107 with Catalina it keeps crashing when it falls asleep and then restarts. The report starts with:

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800f490958): Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling rootDomain's clients about upcoming rootDomain's state changes".

It is doing it every time now when I walk away from my computer.

I also have issues with my Apogee audio interface only recording at 44.1Khz but having static and noise recording at 48Khz immediately after upgrading to Catalina. The same device records at 48K fine on an older Mac and on this Mac before Catalina.

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 9:08 AM

It appears you have AVG antivirus installed on the computer. So first a little education:

The very best antivirus, cleaning, security and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. If simply kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone Mac OS will remain secure and stable. Adding third party antivirus, security, cleaning and other "maintenance" apps add no additional level of security or stability. Unfortunately they offer the exact opposite affect you want, they make Mac OS Slow, unstable, unreliable which is exactly what you are experiencing.

Please locate the uninstall instructions for AVG and any other third party antivirus, cleaning, security or "maintenance" apps you have have installed and follow them to the letter. After you have done this, please restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally and test.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2020 9:08 AM in response to julia123

It appears you have AVG antivirus installed on the computer. So first a little education:

The very best antivirus, cleaning, security and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. If simply kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone Mac OS will remain secure and stable. Adding third party antivirus, security, cleaning and other "maintenance" apps add no additional level of security or stability. Unfortunately they offer the exact opposite affect you want, they make Mac OS Slow, unstable, unreliable which is exactly what you are experiencing.

Please locate the uninstall instructions for AVG and any other third party antivirus, cleaning, security or "maintenance" apps you have have installed and follow them to the letter. After you have done this, please restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally and test.

Oct 4, 2020 2:58 PM in response to julia123

Okay, please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 5, 2020 8:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

The external SSD is a Samsung T5 that I purchased almost a year ago in person at my local Best Buy. I very recently started using it though so the timing does kind of match when these issues began. I also just noticed that after the restart, it does not show or mount on my desktop. I have had to unplug and replug it in now that I think about it.

It took a bit but I think that NTFS and Flash are finally gone. When I restarted, walked away for an hour, and came back, there was another crash report. After this I found a couple of files that were related and also trashed those. I just ran another ETRecheck to include.

I could not find AVGHUB.

Sep 15, 2020 8:04 PM in response to julia123

Please post the entire Kernel Panic Report and we can look for obvious issues. To locate the report:

"Simply launch the Console app, then in the sidebar, select the System Reports item, and then select the Kernel Panic item (the actual name will include the terms kernel and panic, but it will also have the date and the name of your Mac in the title)" Macsales.com

Sep 16, 2020 11:56 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you. I am seeing on the left hand side in the console: Crash Reports, Spin Reports, log Reports, Diagnostic , Mac Analytics data, and system.log. Am I looking in the wrong place? On any of those items I am not seeing anything with kernel and panic. (Search isn't working either).

I was thinking I could copy paste the entire thing next time it restarts and leaves the report. Of course since then it has stopped the crash/restarts now that I am waiting for it to happen again. I have a screen shot of most of the last one but I can't get the text in here.

Computer was restarted because of a problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.