Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Password lock

I Cant type my password in the terminal. It

says password: and has a key icon, but I can't do anything after that. Please advise.

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 10:02 AM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2021 8:21 AM in response to brycedial

brycedial wrote:

I Cant type my password in the terminal. It
says password: and has a key icon, but I can't do anything after that. Please advise.

The psswd will not echo on the screen... never has, never will.

Type it in anyway to continue, keep in mind the psswd is case sensitive so verify your caps lock is not on.

enter/return key to proceed...

Terminal User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Oct 23, 2021 4:27 PM in response to brycedial

If the command is requiring you for an admin password, then you want to make sure you know exactly what you are doing and what the command will do. Any command requiring a password has the potential to delete all your data and corrupt or destroy macOS. It is very easy to accidentally make a mistake even if you are experienced with the command line. Be very careful. Never copy & paste any commands you find online, nor blindly use commands without understanding how that particular command works.

Make sure to have a good backup before running any commands in the Terminal app.

You should always have frequent & regular backups.

Terminal Password lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.