Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Terminal

I’m new using a MacBook Pro and the terminal. While in the terminal it asks for my password and a key icon is visible but I can not seem to type my password or anything else after the key icon. How do I enter my password? Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 6:50 AM

Casey965 wrote:

I’m new using a MacBook Pro and the terminal. While in the terminal it asks for my password and a key icon is visible but I can not seem to type my password or anything else after the key icon. How do I enter my password? Please help.

your pswd will never echo in the Terminal window.

Verify your caps lock is not on.

Type it in and use the enter/return key to proceed.

Terminal User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 6:50 AM in response to Casey965

Casey965 wrote:

your pswd will never echo in the Terminal window.

Verify your caps lock is not on.

Type it in and use the enter/return key to proceed.

Terminal User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2022 7:21 AM in response to Casey965

Passwords are not echoed in terminal. As mentioned, type it in and press enter / return.

With that said, if you are not familiar enough with terminal to know that, I would use extreme caution when using terminal commands you don't understand. There is no easy way to undo things in terminal. And its very possible to mess up your system and leave it non-functional.

Be very sure about what you are doing in terminal.

MacBook Pro Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.