Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Security in Smart TV

I have a new Sony smart TV ( A80j ) with an Apple TV App build in.

Is it "safe" to add / Fill and leave my Apple ID"s Password in that App for future Movies rent or watch ?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 10:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 4:21 AM

“Never Require Password“

Then any user on that TV can one-click-buy content, even accidentally. If you are fine with that, then go ahead and enjoy the easy life.

Maybe my password is unsecured in the Sony’s Apple TV App … ?

The Apple ID password is only known to the Apple TV app on that device; not readable anywhere; not known to Sony or other apps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 4:21 AM in response to rony-z

“Never Require Password“

Then any user on that TV can one-click-buy content, even accidentally. If you are fine with that, then go ahead and enjoy the easy life.

Maybe my password is unsecured in the Sony’s Apple TV App … ?

The Apple ID password is only known to the Apple TV app on that device; not readable anywhere; not known to Sony or other apps.

Oct 24, 2021 3:08 AM in response to rony-z

This Apple Support article has information about signing into the app initially. As well as how to reset the app, when you eventually get rid of the tv.

Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support

There is also an option to sign in using your phone.

“Sign In On Mobile Device: Use your phone's camera to scan the QR code on the TV screen. Then follow the instructions on your mobile device.”

Since the app itself is developed by Apple this is unnecessary but may be possible for added security. Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Apple ID Security in Smart TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.