Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a flashing folder with a question mark in it. I follow the instructions that told me to turn it off then restart holding down the command and R but it returned

I’m have a flashing folder with a question mark in it. The tried holding Cythenia command and R key but it didn’t work

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:11 AM

Hello, Linedancer5678.

Restarting to recovery mode can sometimes be a little tricky as for timing the keystrokes. And it's best to do this with a wired USB keyboard. Borrow one if you have to.

I've found what works best and most consistently for me is to press the power button on the Mac, and then when I hear the startup chime press and hold Command-R until I see the Apple logo and progress bar. At that point you can release the keys and let the Mac finish starting up.

If you have attempted this more than a few times without success, then you may have a situation where the internal drive of your Mac is failing or failed. Try restarting into Internet Recovery mode using Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R. You will need a solid wi-fi connection or, better, an ethernet cable connection to your router for this.

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

When you have successfully booted into recovery mode, then use Disk Utility > First Aid to check the integrity of your startup drive. You might have to click View > Show All Devices to enable the selecting of the internal drive device. Run First Aid on any indented volume listed for the startup drive, then on any container of that drive (if available) and then finally the drive device itself.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Linedancer5678

Hello, Linedancer5678.

Restarting to recovery mode can sometimes be a little tricky as for timing the keystrokes. And it's best to do this with a wired USB keyboard. Borrow one if you have to.

I've found what works best and most consistently for me is to press the power button on the Mac, and then when I hear the startup chime press and hold Command-R until I see the Apple logo and progress bar. At that point you can release the keys and let the Mac finish starting up.

If you have attempted this more than a few times without success, then you may have a situation where the internal drive of your Mac is failing or failed. Try restarting into Internet Recovery mode using Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R. You will need a solid wi-fi connection or, better, an ethernet cable connection to your router for this.

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

When you have successfully booted into recovery mode, then use Disk Utility > First Aid to check the integrity of your startup drive. You might have to click View > Show All Devices to enable the selecting of the internal drive device. Run First Aid on any indented volume listed for the startup drive, then on any container of that drive (if available) and then finally the drive device itself.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

I have a flashing folder with a question mark in it. I follow the instructions that told me to turn it off then restart holding down the command and R but it returned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.