Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My deleted MAIL messages no longer appear in the Trash mailbox.

I am using MacOS 10.15.7 and MAIL Version 13.4 (3608.120.23.2.7). Until recently, deleted MAIL messages could be found in the Trash mailbox and recovered. But now they no longer appear there, and I cannot find them. Where are they?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:16 AM

3 replies

Oct 25, 2021 10:33 AM in response to GeneDeJ

Hi there GeneDeJ,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. It's definitely important that your Mail app works as expected, and we can help. It looks like your deleted messages are not appearing in the Trash folder.

To verify, are you missing the Trash folder entirely, or do you have the Trash folder but find that deleted messages do not appear there?

It sounds like you may want to start by checking Mail > Preferences > Accounts. Then, select the account in question from the left-hand column and click the Mailbox Behaviors tab on the right. Then, click the "Trash Mailbox" drop-down. If it's set to "None," try changing it to "Deleted Messages." This link has details for reference on how to Change Mailbox Behaviors preferences in Mail on Mac.

Let us know the results.

Take care.

Oct 25, 2021 3:21 PM in response to ryane77

I did find the problem. Somehow in MAIL Preferences, Accounts, my trash mailbox for the account I use the most got changed to "None". I changed it back to "Trash" and everything is working normally. I don't know where those messages I deleted from the account went when it was set to "None", but its good now. All the other mail accounts were still set to Trash, so its all OK. Thank you.

My deleted MAIL messages no longer appear in the Trash mailbox.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.