Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade before or after an account recovery request?

Long story short, my iPhone 8 bricked during an attempt @ IOS update this past weekend, and I had to restore to factory settings. the bigger problem was, I forgot my Apple ID PW (big mistake losing where I had it written down).

Apple Store guys helps me send out an Account Recovery request (looks like my password reset will be in two weeks). In the meantime, to be able to continue using my phone fully, Apple Store guys suggested I set up a "second" ID, which I am using now. And when password reset is done, I can sign back in with my original ID. Therefore getting back all of my music, pictures and etc from the cloud (hopefully).

The irony is, I was going to update to a 12 or 13 in the next week (yay discounts).

Should I wait until my account recovery PW reset is complete for my original ID, or can I just upgrade my phone using the second ID and then switch to original account when ready?

not wanting to screw anything up.

thanks!

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 1:26 PM

Hello JKirk1983,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you've requested Account Recovery and you're wondering how that would affect moving to a new iPhone. We'd be happy to help provide more information to consider.

You would be able to set up a new iPhone using the recently created Apple ID. Any data that's on your current iPhone and associated with the Apple ID in Account Recovery (such as purchases, iCloud content, etc) would not be transferred to the new iPhone. Once you've regained access to the Apple ID, there's a few different ways to proceed depending on the content you'd like to transfer to the new device.

The first option would be to sign in to iCloud with the Apple ID to sync content such as iCloud Photos, Notes, Messages in iCloud, or any other data currently in iCloud: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

The next option would be to erase the new iPhone, then restore the new iPhone from a backup. If you still have access to the previous iPhone at this time, you would also be able to transfer the data using Quick Start. This process would erase any data associated with the new Apple ID that you've been using: Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 1:26 PM in response to JKirk1983

Hello JKirk1983,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you've requested Account Recovery and you're wondering how that would affect moving to a new iPhone. We'd be happy to help provide more information to consider.

You would be able to set up a new iPhone using the recently created Apple ID. Any data that's on your current iPhone and associated with the Apple ID in Account Recovery (such as purchases, iCloud content, etc) would not be transferred to the new iPhone. Once you've regained access to the Apple ID, there's a few different ways to proceed depending on the content you'd like to transfer to the new device.

The first option would be to sign in to iCloud with the Apple ID to sync content such as iCloud Photos, Notes, Messages in iCloud, or any other data currently in iCloud: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

The next option would be to erase the new iPhone, then restore the new iPhone from a backup. If you still have access to the previous iPhone at this time, you would also be able to transfer the data using Quick Start. This process would erase any data associated with the new Apple ID that you've been using: Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care.

Should I upgrade before or after an account recovery request?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.