Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verification Failed error when trying to Sign in to Apple ID on MacBookPro

Hi,

I am unable to log-in into apple ID on my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019), running macOS Big Sure Version 11.6.

I know this is not a wrong password issue because I am able to login in apple website.

The error i'm getting when trying to login to apple app store is "Verification Failed error".

I tried multiple solutions with no success:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251267296

* "Some people have solved this by going to System Preferences/Internet Accounts, selecting an iCloud account there, and signing in. You need to repeat this for each iCloud account."

- Indeed this time I got an SMS verification code, but afterwards I got the same "Verification Error"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251141112

* delete the device from appleid.apple.com page

* On the laptop open Keychain Access application - In the search bar type: icloud , delete com.apple.cloudd.deviceid.Production and iCloud Keychain Account Meta-data

Also, tried to reset default keychains in Keychain Access app, and restarted the laptop - all without any success.

Did some more investigation.

In my console after I get the Verification Error, I see in one of the entries:

Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=5

Google search have found https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/6239

"Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=5 "A iCloud account already exists. Only a single iCloud account is allowed to be saved."

This Macbook is my laptop from work, hence I might not be the first one who uses it.

Please help,

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 10:32 AM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 10:32 AM in response to arkady114

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Verification Failed error when trying to Sign in to Apple ID on MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.