Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revive Macbook air stuck in Big Sur Install?

Tried to install big sur on my Macbook air and it stalled about a third of the way across the screen What can I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 11:06 AM

Try restarting in Safe Mode - Intel computer Restart and immediately hold the Shift key until the Apple Logo appear the release. For Apple Silicon M1 - shutdown, then hold the Power Button for 10 seconds and follw the prompts to start in Safe Mode

Safe mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software - so loads slowly - Normal. This may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete.

Trust, the computer had the 35.6 GB of Empty Space Required for the upGrade ?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 11:06 AM in response to fiberhome

Try restarting in Safe Mode - Intel computer Restart and immediately hold the Shift key until the Apple Logo appear the release. For Apple Silicon M1 - shutdown, then hold the Power Button for 10 seconds and follw the prompts to start in Safe Mode

Safe mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software - so loads slowly - Normal. This may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete.

Trust, the computer had the 35.6 GB of Empty Space Required for the upGrade ?

Oct 25, 2021 11:55 AM in response to fiberhome

The Other category is a potpourri of files which can include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files: browser, Mail

• Mail messages & attachments

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Safari reading list

• iTunes backups

• Crud resulting from jailbreaking your iDevice

• Game data

• Saved data files

• Call history

• Notes

• Media

• Voice memos

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

• Files created and modified by other user accounts on your Mac.

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive.

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.  You can use either of these two free apps, GrandPerspective  or OmniDiscSweeper, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.  

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Many users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

Oct 25, 2021 3:36 PM in response to PRP_53

As I explored what happened to the MacBookAir further, it looks like what is consuming the extra space on that machine is the remains of the botched update that I shut down. Disk Utility shows me that my Apple SSD is "Container disk 1" which includes Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD-Data, and Update, which I have stacked below. When I look closely, it appears to be shared by 6 volumes, although I only see 3 here (which also show in "locations"). Macintosh HD is the Startup Volume (includes applications, library, system and users), Macintosh HD-Data (apparently created by the aborted Big Sur installer) and "Update" (which contains very little). I don't see a recovery disk, but it may be hiding.

What should I do? Go to the recovery disk, erase, and recover with Time Machine? I thought that was what I was doing. Any idea what I might have missed?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2021 11:43 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. Unfortunately, I did not know that I needed 35.6 GB of empty space, and the Air has only 121 GB of total storage capacity. I was able to restore the machine with Time Machine to Mojave, but that left me with only 3.5 GB available and 70.88 GB of "Other Volumes in Container" which I have yet to identify. I don't have a lot of apps or documents on it, and iCloud is not counted in "other volumes". Is this too small a machine to upgrade to Big Sur?

Oct 25, 2021 12:08 PM in response to fiberhome

To start with - suggest taking the very good advise from @Old Toad. This my allow the creation of additional required space to allow the upGrade to Big Sur.

That said - IMHO - Apple should not have being selling the 128GB SSD configured this way. That is way too small to do anything reasonably.

Even if you can get Big Sur installed - the 128 GB is going to be a real struggle to maintain the good practice of always having 15% the Total Drive Capacity as Free Space. Example 128 GB Capacity x 15% = 19 GB Empty Space at all times.

Do not suggest this except if not other options.

Create a USB Installer of Big Sur and use that to boot into and Wipe the Entire Drive including the Recovery Volume. That would remove everything and no do overs - period. Then, Install Big Sur and very very selective Applications.

Oct 25, 2021 12:38 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. Given that I use this machine as a substitute for my office MacMini when I want a computer somewhere in the house other than my office and that I am not traveling for work due to COVID, I'm inclined to not waste much time trying to update to Big Sur.

I think the stray files that Old Toad mentioned may have accumulated in the Recents folder, which I just asked how to empty elsewhere.

Oct 28, 2021 1:44 PM in response to fiberhome

To follow up, I decided to delete the three partitions on Container disk1, using the "-" option on the Volume in disk utility. With all three gone, recovered the Mojave disk using Time Machine. That succeeded in producing a single MacintoshHD disk running in Mojave in the Container disk, with 50-60 GB of space. I was pleasantly surprised to find that much space, and although it's possible that some leftover pieces may remain to claim some of that space, so far it looks good.

How do I revive Macbook air stuck in Big Sur Install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.