Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Globalprotect not working on macOS Monterey

I upgraded my MacbookPro (13 inch M1) to macOS Monterey today. Everything works fine and smooth except for the Palo Alto Globalprotect app (version 5.2.8.23). It seems to connect to the office-network, but it does not acknowledge my virus scanner nor the firewall. So, when activated, Globalprotect obstructs all network connections. Network is instantly back to normal when I disconnect Globalprotection.

Any suggestions as to how to make it work? I will roll back to Big Sur from my Time Machine back up now. But this would of course not be possible with a new 14 or 16 inch MBP.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 5:04 PM

Similar questions

18 replies

Oct 26, 2021 12:26 PM in response to fromsoest

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

However, that being said one of the most respected contributors to these forums and a respected developer has reported favorably about NordVPN.  So it may be more secure than most of the other public VPNs.

As for the Palo Alto Globalprotect I'd uninstall it according to the developer's instructions

Oct 26, 2021 12:11 PM in response to fromsoest

Hey there fromsoest,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Hav you checked for any updates to the software/service itself? That’s one of the steps that could impact this as seen in these articles:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Check for an update and go through the other steps there and see if they have any impact on this.

Take care.

Oct 26, 2021 1:42 PM in response to fromsoest

If it's the corporate VP then all is well. Try the following; boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 5, 2021 1:41 PM in response to fromsoest

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions.

They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Nov 6, 2021 2:43 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith Barkley

The read on the issue presented is a " two fold."

You have correctly identified the first as being the " Globalprotect app". Being as one has a background with and is familiar with it - you have a higher probability of finding and offering a solution to the owner of the original question.

The second and IMHO, equally important issue is " but it does not acknowledge my virus scanner nor the firewall ". That specific part of the overall issues affecting the computer has been addressed by Learned Contributor Old Toad and self in earlier posting.

Looking forwards to continued collaboration on this and other issues in the future.

Nov 6, 2021 3:21 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you Keith.

I know about the relative safety of MacOS systems. The virusscanner is not my own choice, it is a requirement from my work. Globalprotect checks if it is active and up to date. If not, there is no connection established and all network traffic is blocked.

luckily, I have been able to use another, older machine running Big Sur. But I will be very sad when my new macbook 14 inch arrives and I cannot use it to connect to my work.

Dec 17, 2021 9:37 AM in response to fromsoest

I am also required to use GlobalProtect (currently version 5.2.8-23) to access my organization's secure resources, and I upgraded to MacOS 12.1. yesterday. I had a similar issue as fromsoest. I found the responses to this question that suggested using an alternate VPN solution rather frustrating. However, Mubai's response about iCloud Private Relay was quite helpful. Thank you.

For me, iCloud Private Relay was already off. I found the Private Relay (Beta) setting under the Apple ID system preference. I toggled it on, and GlobalProtect immediately started working for me. Network connections were no longer obstructed. Pages in my browser once again loaded normally, and I was able to access my organization's secure resources.

I toggled the Private Relay (Beta) setting off again, and GlobalProtect still worked, even after disconnecting from GlobalProtect and reconnecting.

Jan 18, 2022 7:29 PM in response to Mubai

Wish I had discovered this post sooner as I was experiencing the same issue. I can confirm that disabling "Limit IP address Tracking" in network preferences for my wifi network did allow me to then connect to GlobalConnect, which I need for work. But of course I need to remember to re-enable the network preference setting to experience the benefits of iCloud Private Relay and Mail Privacy Protection when I am not on my corporate VPN.

Globalprotect not working on macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.