Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey installer won't accept my internal drive as startup disk

I’ve been trying to install macOS Monterey via the normal installer, downloaded from system preferences, on a M1 Mac Mini

The download worked fine, but after opening the installer and accepting the license agreement, it stops me when selecting a disk with this message “You must provide authorization for this volume by setting it as your startup disk. You can relaunch the installer after authorization has been provided.” This seems like a normal message, except for the fact that it is my startup disk, which I have made sure of by checking system preferences, and then trying to reselect it as my drive and restarting. It also is my internal drive, an official Apple SSD, the drive I am currently running macOS on, and the only drive connected to my computer. This is where I’m stuck.

So, I have no idea how to fix this. My drive seems to be in fine condition, and the installer is completely contradicting system preferences at this point. I’ve tried deleting it and reinstalling it, restarting the computer, and I also installed a couple Big Sur updates and still no change.

Here’s some screenshots...

I would highly appreciate any ideas or solutions anyone can provide.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 5:48 PM

Pyrotex7 wrote:

I’ve been trying to install macOS Monterey via the normal installer, downloaded from system preferences, on a M1 Mac Mini

The download worked fine, but after opening the installer and accepting the license agreement, it stops me when selecting a disk with this message “You must provide authorization for this volume by setting it as your startup disk. You can relaunch the installer after authorization has been provided.” This seems like a normal message, except for the fact that it is my startup disk, which I have made sure of by checking system preferences, and then trying to reselect it as my drive and restarting. It also is my internal drive, an official Apple SSD, the drive I am currently running macOS on, and the only drive connected to my computer. This is where I’m stuck.

So, I have no idea how to fix this. My drive seems to be in fine condition, and the installer is completely contradicting system preferences at this point. I’ve tried deleting it and reinstalling it, restarting the computer, and I also installed a couple Big Sur updates and still no change.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e7bf61ec-f7a7-4748-bbd9-775c54a4c1e9
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/107db2bf-683e-4921-a2a6-f1df4fb81ef7

Can you verify you unlock the padlock and then select the Macintosh HD

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 5:48 PM in response to Pyrotex7

Pyrotex7 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e7bf61ec-f7a7-4748-bbd9-775c54a4c1e9
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/107db2bf-683e-4921-a2a6-f1df4fb81ef7

Can you verify you unlock the padlock and then select the Macintosh HD

Oct 25, 2021 6:22 PM in response to leroydouglas

Well, I have, and as I was saying I made sure it was selected, and then hit restart. It also already says 'You have selected macOS 11.6.1 on the disk "Macintosh HD.”’ Plus it’s the only drive connected so for it to even be booting macOS it has to be recognized as the startup disk, unless I had used the startup options which I haven’t.

Monterey installer won't accept my internal drive as startup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.