Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Disk error: "This computer does not have any authorized users"

I have encountered a strange set of errors on my relatively new M1 Mac mini running Monterey 12.6. One important issue is that I have my OS installed onto an external thunderbolt SSD.

1. System updates will not install. I am asked for authorization and then immediately bounced back to the "update available" screen in system preferences.
  2. I cannot select my external disk as startup disk, even though I am currently booted from it. I get the following error, the wording of which has no exact hits in google (terrifying):

I get an error when attempting to update Safari that "You need to be an owner to install".

Because of these issues, I completely reinstalled Mac OS to a blanked, repartitioned drive (still the external), creating a completely new administrator user. The problem persists.

I read in one of these discussions, mentioned as sort of an offhand comment, that Monterey simply cannot update when its installed to an external drive. If this is true I cannot find any official documentation of it and it seems to be a serious limitation that wasn't an issue with Big Sur.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 3:46 PM

I managed to solve this.

There’s a particular set of things that needs to happen to install the OS on a second drive that is not prominently documented for users. The issue seems to be caused by a new concept since the M1 transition called “owner”; the best summary of what’s going wrong is described here: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/ and a more thorough explanation that I don’t totally understand by the same person is here: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/21/owners-and-users-primary-and-secondary-systems-on-m1-macs/

This particular part caught my eye: “macOS offers to copy a user from the current boot system as the Install User, and the primary admin user, on the second OS.” and “Apple strongly recommends that this offer is accepted, as it ensures that the Install User can access the OIK, and that security is fully preserved.”

I was never prompted to create/copy this user, since I actually hadn’t completed the initial Mac setup before I installed Monterey to the external disk.

Steps that caused the problem:

1. Never finish the first normal boot of the M1 Mac to its internal hard drive (why bother setting up user accounts, etc, when you’re just going to install a completely seperate copy of OS X to an external drive, anyway.)

2. Boot into recovery mode (hold down power button, click gears icon)

3. Format your SSD for installation with disk utility (APFS, GUID partition map)

4. Select Reinstall Mac OS, install to the external drive

5. Boot, proceed through welcome steps, and create the first user account.

6. This user account will NOT be considered the owner of the computer.

At no point was I prompted to copy a user.

Steps that solved the problem:

1. Completely back up the running system off the external SSD. I used both SuperDuper and Time Machine. I’m glad I did both, because I was later unable to use the Time Machine backup from the migration assistant (it failed to find the user accounts!)

2. Boot from the internal SSD

3. Create the initial administrative user for the OS on the internal SSD

4. Fetch the Monterey installer package from the App store

5. Wipe the external disk as above, erase the entire disk and format APFS, with GUID partition map

5. Launch the Monterey installer. It will immediately ask to copy the current admin user. Say yes!

6. Install.

7. After rebooting, use the migration assistant to copy users and files from the backup. It’s safe to migrate everything here, it won’t break anything.

2. Enjoy a system that will let you update it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2022 3:46 PM in response to yashka_oreza

I managed to solve this.

There’s a particular set of things that needs to happen to install the OS on a second drive that is not prominently documented for users. The issue seems to be caused by a new concept since the M1 transition called “owner”; the best summary of what’s going wrong is described here: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/ and a more thorough explanation that I don’t totally understand by the same person is here: https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/21/owners-and-users-primary-and-secondary-systems-on-m1-macs/

This particular part caught my eye: “macOS offers to copy a user from the current boot system as the Install User, and the primary admin user, on the second OS.” and “Apple strongly recommends that this offer is accepted, as it ensures that the Install User can access the OIK, and that security is fully preserved.”

I was never prompted to create/copy this user, since I actually hadn’t completed the initial Mac setup before I installed Monterey to the external disk.

Steps that caused the problem:

1. Never finish the first normal boot of the M1 Mac to its internal hard drive (why bother setting up user accounts, etc, when you’re just going to install a completely seperate copy of OS X to an external drive, anyway.)

2. Boot into recovery mode (hold down power button, click gears icon)

3. Format your SSD for installation with disk utility (APFS, GUID partition map)

4. Select Reinstall Mac OS, install to the external drive

5. Boot, proceed through welcome steps, and create the first user account.

6. This user account will NOT be considered the owner of the computer.

At no point was I prompted to copy a user.

Steps that solved the problem:

1. Completely back up the running system off the external SSD. I used both SuperDuper and Time Machine. I’m glad I did both, because I was later unable to use the Time Machine backup from the migration assistant (it failed to find the user accounts!)

2. Boot from the internal SSD

3. Create the initial administrative user for the OS on the internal SSD

4. Fetch the Monterey installer package from the App store

5. Wipe the external disk as above, erase the entire disk and format APFS, with GUID partition map

5. Launch the Monterey installer. It will immediately ask to copy the current admin user. Say yes!

6. Install.

7. After rebooting, use the migration assistant to copy users and files from the backup. It’s safe to migrate everything here, it won’t break anything.

2. Enjoy a system that will let you update it.

Startup Disk error: "This computer does not have any authorized users"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.