Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine , immediately following update to Monterey unable to write to my Time Machine ext HD

Loading Monterey has done something that prevents time machine from accessing my BU HD. The drive was checked using Disk Utility, it is fine. What did Monterey do automatic Time Machine BUs?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 7:35 PM

8 replies

Oct 26, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Stormy LC

Hello Stormy LC.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From what we gathered, it sounds like you're experience issues with not being able to create Time Machine backups using your external hard drive. Specifically, this issue started to occur as soon as you updated your macOS version to Monterey. If this is the case, we'd like to share a helpful resource with you.

If you're unable to back up using Time Machine, the resource below might be able to help you:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

You'll want to make sure you follow each step that is listed within this specific resource.

We hope this information is useful. Cheers.

Oct 27, 2021 6:42 AM in response to mike130578

I ran disk utility, and it finished with no errors. I did a cold boot, and voila -- time machine working fine on my iMac 27" 5K 2019 computer. I then loaded Monterey on my MacBook Air 2021 with M1 CPU, same problem ( could not BU to the external drive that had been working flawlessly). I ran disk utility, did a cold boot, and all now working perfectly.

Oct 30, 2021 2:18 PM in response to simima

Based on your question marks, I will elaborate. On my 27" iMac 5K Retina 2019 3.7GHZ i5 CPU computer running Monterey, I opened FINDER, selected APPLICATIONS, scrolled down to UTILITIES, and selected DISK UTILITY. When it opened, I selected FIRST AID, it brought up my Hard Drive name, I selected it and after 10 minutes the report came back indications everything was fine, no issues. I then POWERED DOWN my computer, waited 30 seconds, and POWERED UP my computer. I initiated a Time Machine backup and all went smoothly. Problem solved. I had the same problem on my 2021 MacBook Air with the new M1 CPU, after I installed Monterey. I repeated the above process and voila -- time machine worked perfectly.

Time Machine , immediately following update to Monterey unable to write to my Time Machine ext HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.