Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice and Data is gone after 15.1

After updating to iOS 15.1, Voice & Data is missing. How can I switch between LTE and 4g now?

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 12:03 PM

Ok, I can confirm that this has to do with AT&T, not IOS, and that it’s because the 3g network is being shutdown.

I had them change my plan to a 5g plan and once that was done I got the menu “Voice & Data to show up and it gave me the choice between 5g and LTE.

I than had them change my plan back to one that does not have 5g and the menu, “Voice & Data” was removed.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 12:03 PM in response to Zinsco45

Ok, I can confirm that this has to do with AT&T, not IOS, and that it’s because the 3g network is being shutdown.

I had them change my plan to a 5g plan and once that was done I got the menu “Voice & Data to show up and it gave me the choice between 5g and LTE.

I than had them change my plan back to one that does not have 5g and the menu, “Voice & Data” was removed.

Oct 27, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Zinsco45

Ok, I think I have my answer. AT&T got rid of their 3g network and in the menu where it gave me the option to choose 4g, it wasn’t really 4g, it was “3g plus”. Since I’m not on a 5g plan and they got rid of the 3g network (3g plus or what they were calling 4g) that leaves me with just the LTE. If all I have available to me is the LTE there is no reason for them to give me the menu option (Voice & Data). If you have a 5g plan they give you the menu options to switch between 5g and LTE.

This is really crappy news. The LTE has always been good for data, going to websites, using the gps, email, whatever, but when in a bad cell service area, I would switch to 4g (3g plus) and get good service to be able to talk to someone on the phone. Now I’m stuck with the bad service when that happens.

Oct 26, 2021 5:29 PM in response to Zinsco45

Hello Zinsco45, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand from your message that you no longer are seeing an option under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options for Voice & Data. We're happy to look into this further with you. 

If you turn on the Data Roaming option, do you then have an option for Voice & Data? Check out this article for more details: About the LTE options on your iPhone.  

All the best.

Oct 26, 2021 6:08 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It’s a 13 pro. I updated my wife’s phone as well with the same thing happening and she has a 12 Pro. Thank you for you response. I think you are right. I think the carrier hasn’t pushed out an update yet to match apples update. I talked to AT&T tech support and all they did was reset my esim and said I need to call apple. I think the guy just didn’t know anything. Gonna call the back and see if I can get to a higher tech support

Oct 28, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Zinsco45

I would think that if AT&T shut down their older network it means they had beefed up their back-end to support LTE better. If you get into areas where you are getting poor service, I suggest you report that to AT&T. They used to have an app you could use to report your location and signal issues. I used it years ago, but service in my area now is a lot of 5G and LTE, so I don't have a problem any longer.

Nov 1, 2021 12:57 PM in response to Kurtosis12

You can "restore" or downgrade from iOS15.1 to 15.02 using a signed ipsw file now. All other previous iOS versions are not allowed or unsigned. This does resolve the voice and data problem with loss of 3G which is a temporary option if your carrier AT&T or VMNO can not change your plan to 4G(LTE)/5G at this time. My MVNO does not plan to switch until February. My understanding is that the transition (discontinuing 3G, expanding 5G) will come with stronger 4G(LTE) signals so that those of us that have relied on 3G for that reason will continue to have a functional signal.

Nov 2, 2021 6:15 AM in response to _Abstrak

It’s not about a fix, there is no fix, unless you mean for 4 months. AT&T along with everyone else are shutting down the 3g network. I have heard they will do this February next year. Why they took our ability to switch to 4g (3g plus) with this latest update (15.1) instead of waiting until they actually shut it down is something I don’t know and something that ****** me off. Maybe they know that apple won’t make another update until after they shut it down so they had to do it on this one. I don’t know but it stinks. I don’t have a backup from when I was on 15.0.02, so if I downgrade it will be to much of a pain cuz I would have to redo so much and lose some stuff.

Nov 5, 2021 12:42 AM in response to _Abstrak

Exactly, this is definitely an iOS issue because I always keep my phone on 4G, however as soon as I upgraded my phone to Apple 15.1 update the top right hand corner of my phone switch from 4G to 5G and I couldn’t switch it back because the option was gone. I called Apple and the technician was not helpful because he was supposed to call me back and failed to do so. I believe it was because he couldn’t fix the issue. I have a 11 Pro Max and I am ****** because having the capability to switch between 4G and LTE was the reason why I purchased this phone.

Voice and Data is gone after 15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.