Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey cursor stuck

I updated a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro from MacOs Big Sur to Monterey. When I log into my own user account the trackpad does not work at all. The cursor is stuck.

When I reboot and log into the administrator account, the trackpad works perfectly, without any delay. Logging out as administrator and back into my user account brings about the cursor problem again. A reboot is therefore not the solution.

Interestingly, I can plug in an Apple mouse which works fine on all accounts, including my user account.

As the trackpad works for all other user accounts, the trackpad is clearly fine. I am not running any login apps. It appears that my user account has a preference that is creating a problem after the update.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 1:21 PM

I upgraded my MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015 to Monterey this afternoon and my trackpad didn't work.  Cursor didn't move, it didn't click.

I have a wireless mouse nearby that is set up for my Macbook Pro but was currently switched to work on my PC.

I eventually (after reinstalling the operating system, etc.) found that System Preferences/Accessibility/Pointer Control/Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present was selected.  When I unselected it, the trackpad worked.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 1:21 PM in response to platinum1

I upgraded my MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015 to Monterey this afternoon and my trackpad didn't work.  Cursor didn't move, it didn't click.

I have a wireless mouse nearby that is set up for my Macbook Pro but was currently switched to work on my PC.

I eventually (after reinstalling the operating system, etc.) found that System Preferences/Accessibility/Pointer Control/Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present was selected.  When I unselected it, the trackpad worked.

Oct 26, 2021 1:36 AM in response to platinum1

Check if you have same issue in safe mode? This should further help to troubleshoot.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (Takes longer to boot)

NoteSafe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

macOS Monterey cursor stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.