Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won‘t turn on after Monterey install

MacBook pro 2019 after monterey update the computer won’t turn on at all.

tried the usual suspects (pram, pressing command-option-r etc.) but nothing. Computer is also perfectly powered but nothing, no chime, no harddrive sound just a dead computer after the monterey update.

seems like a computer without power but it is fully powered

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 1:06 PM

Solution:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

Problem: you need a second computer with the same or an higher operating system version.

As I didn’t have a second machine with Monterey already running, I went to the Apple Store and they revived the T2 chip. Problem solved and I hope this will also help others who faced bricked computers after the Monterey install.

144 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 1:06 PM in response to andreas158

Solution:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

Problem: you need a second computer with the same or an higher operating system version.

As I didn’t have a second machine with Monterey already running, I went to the Apple Store and they revived the T2 chip. Problem solved and I hope this will also help others who faced bricked computers after the Monterey install.

Oct 26, 2021 6:57 AM in response to andreas158

If your Mac doesn't turn on

If your Mac doesn't seem to turn on after you press the power button, follow these steps.

Your Mac might be turned on but appear to be turned off, even though it's connected to AC power and a working display. Follow these steps.

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for at least 10 seconds, then release. If your Mac is turned on, this forces it to turn off.
  2. If you see no change on your Mac, press and release the power button normally.
  3. If your Mac now turns on but doesn't finish starting up, follow the steps for when your Mac doesn't start up all the way.
  4. If your Mac still doesn't turn on, please contact Apple Support.

Published Date: May 04, 2021

Nov 13, 2021 4:39 AM in response to akeriksen

I don't think it'll help. The revive and restore will only work on the following Intel-based Mac computers with an Apple T2 Security Chip:

• iMac (2020)
  • Mac Pro (2019)
  • Mac mini (2018)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

Oct 27, 2021 3:41 PM in response to andreas158

See if you can: 1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. If successful try a normal reboot; 2 - boot into the Recovery volume (boot with just the Command + R keys held down). If successful launch Disk Utility and run First Aid on all of the volumes; 3 - see if this Apple document has any helpful tips: If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2021 4:31 AM in response to andreas158

Hi,

I also have this problem after clicking update on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014). The machine is bricked and won't boot.

I have an intel Mac Mini that has been updated successfully to Monterey (phew!).

My question is now: Can I use the following cable to connect my two Macs in order to use Apple Connector 2 to revive the firmware on my MacBook Air: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN892ZM/A/mophie-usb-a-cable-with-usb-c-connector-1-m

Oct 26, 2021 3:58 PM in response to andreas158

The same issue and also one acquaintance the same. It’s incredible because my Mac Book Pro is only one year old. Let’s see what they say in Apple Store Genius Bar. I hate when they make you feel an idiot when it’s a known issue and they should give you an inmediate replacement. It is so inconvenient that if they make me waste time with repair I would need to buy a new one for urgent work.

Oct 26, 2021 9:54 PM in response to budogirl

Update:

I had a chat with support and they couldn’t help. The recommendation was to go to the genius bar but this will result in losing all data on the computer. Seems to be the Apple standard procedure. Unfortunately I didn’t make a full backup this time that’s why I’m hesitant to be the guinea pig for Apple support.

I will wait a couple of days to see how many people are affected and if the numbers are high enough Apple will hopefully provide a solution for dead computers after the Monterey install.

on redit there is another discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/qfx6xu/did_my_macbook_pro_get_bricked/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Oct 27, 2021 3:53 PM in response to Old Toad

This did not work at all. There is a serious global problem with this update that should be stopped because many people like me are reporting having a brick Mac trying to update with Monterey. Apple Store reconfirmed me I was not the only one in my city. Apple please stop this defective update for some macs. I was highly recommended not to update other older Macs (the problematic is only one year old) and that friends and relatives don’t do it. There should be some Apple statement by now to stop this chaotic situation for some. DFU is the solution and worked to me in Apple Store and I quickly suggested after reading reports. It’s awful some people make you feel you haven’t tried anything for solving typical Mac problems.

Oct 27, 2021 4:28 PM in response to Old Toad

I beg to disagree that some actually are monitoring. Apple may have received many tickets of this problem at least from my city as I was told. This crazy defective update should be stopped. I felt so disappointed as a long term Mac user with one year old laptop in the Apple list of non problematic laptops for the Monterey update. The same happened with another person I know in another part of the planet.

MacBook won‘t turn on after Monterey install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.