Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: MacBook won‘t turn on after Monterey install

MacBook pro 2019 after monterey update the computer won’t turn on at all.

tried the usual suspects (pram, pressing command-option-r etc.) but nothing. Computer is also perfectly powered but nothing, no chime, no harddrive sound just a dead computer after the monterey update.

seems like a computer without power but it is fully powered

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 1:48 AM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Solution:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

Problem: you need a second computer with the same or an higher operating system version.

As I didn’t have a second machine with Monterey already running, I went to the Apple Store and they revived the T2 chip. Problem solved and I hope this will also help others who faced bricked computers after the Monterey install.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 1:06 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 26, 2021 6:57 AM in response to andreas158 In response to andreas158

If your Mac doesn't turn on

If your Mac doesn't seem to turn on after you press the power button, follow these steps.

Your Mac might be turned on but appear to be turned off, even though it's connected to AC power and a working display. Follow these steps.

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for at least 10 seconds, then release. If your Mac is turned on, this forces it to turn off.
  2. If you see no change on your Mac, press and release the power button normally.
  3. If your Mac now turns on but doesn't finish starting up, follow the steps for when your Mac doesn't start up all the way.
  4. If your Mac still doesn't turn on, please contact Apple Support.

Published Date: May 04, 2021

Oct 26, 2021 6:57 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 26, 2021 3:58 PM in response to andreas158 In response to andreas158

The same issue and also one acquaintance the same. It’s incredible because my Mac Book Pro is only one year old. Let’s see what they say in Apple Store Genius Bar. I hate when they make you feel an idiot when it’s a known issue and they should give you an inmediate replacement. It is so inconvenient that if they make me waste time with repair I would need to buy a new one for urgent work.

Oct 26, 2021 3:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 26, 2021 9:54 PM in response to budogirl In response to budogirl

Update:

I had a chat with support and they couldn’t help. The recommendation was to go to the genius bar but this will result in losing all data on the computer. Seems to be the Apple standard procedure. Unfortunately I didn’t make a full backup this time that’s why I’m hesitant to be the guinea pig for Apple support.

I will wait a couple of days to see how many people are affected and if the numbers are high enough Apple will hopefully provide a solution for dead computers after the Monterey install.

on redit there is another discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/qfx6xu/did_my_macbook_pro_get_bricked/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Oct 26, 2021 9:54 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: andreas158

Question: MacBook won‘t turn on after Monterey install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
  • A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Learn more.