Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Power Mode not appearing

Early 2016 MacBook 12" (1.3GHz, 8GB mem, M7, 512GB SSD)

The Low Power Mode option is nowhere to be found after upgrading to Monterey. All else seems to be there and work, and tried restarting. But that setting is simply not there.

MacBook, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 3:23 PM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2021 12:07 PM in response to yyj_jay

Hey there yyj_jay,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're not seeing Low Power Mode as an available option on your MacBook (Early 2016) after installing macOS Monterey. Is that correct?

That's great troubleshooting you've done so far. Let's have you try a couple other troubleshooting steps. One would be to start up in safe mode. After you're in safe mode, restart the Mac to see if the option is available.

Our other suggestion is to test this in a new user account. We'll also include steps to do this.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you're still having an issue, we recommend getting in touch with an Apple Support Advisor: Contact Apple Support

Kind regards.

Nov 25, 2021 5:09 PM in response to yyj_jay

Hey, just apple support about this issue. I dont know what kind of sorcery is this, but after I asked them the Mac OS Monterey page says LPM only support MBP and MBA like the picture below. This means 2017 MacBook also doesnt support it.

Well its glad to know there is no support on 2016 Macbook, so we wont have to be curious anymore.

Oct 30, 2021 11:51 AM in response to G-Tech1

Yes, seems like an oversight from them to state it’s available on 2016 MB 12”. Either that or the OS update left it out for these models by accident.

I’m not going to bother contacting Apple support as they will have me go through a bunch of steps and even reinstall OS, which I’m not willing to spend the time on, nor do I think will solve anything.

Hopefully they update their documentation to revise the eligible models or release a patch.

Nov 2, 2021 6:25 AM in response to yyj_jay

I generally realized that the power / heat management on the 12" MacBook became much better in Monterey compared to previous macOS versions. The MacBook stays cooler and seems to throttle the CPU less frequently than it did before. This makes it more responsive and much better usable for standard tasks like web browsing. More complicated web sites that consume more resources could slow down the MacBook to almost standstill in Big Sur. This issue seems to be gone in Monterey.

Low Power Mode not appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.