Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody facing issues in installing macOS Monterey on a Mac with SSD OWC Aura Pro x2 ?

I have a 1TB OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) model. I'm currently running macOS BigSur 11.6.1, When I tried to upgrade to macOS Monterey the update fails with a generic message saying "An Error Occurred While Preparing the Installation ...", In the logs I could find errors highlighting that the EFI drivers are outdated. I checked the OWC website and I could not find any firmware update matching the current macOS that I have, Any pointers on how to solve it ?

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:23 PM

karthikn23 wrote:

I have a 1TB OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) model. I'm currently running macOS BigSur 11.6.1, When I tried to upgrade to macOS Monterey the update fails with a generic message saying "An Error Occurred While Preparing the Installation ...", In the logs I could find errors highlighting that the EFI drivers are outdated. I checked the OWC website and I could not find any firmware update matching the current macOS that I have, Any pointers on how to solve it ?

here it is

Cannot upgrade to Monterey with non-apple SSD

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253296956?answerId=256166114022#256166114022

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:23 PM in response to karthikn23

karthikn23 wrote:

here it is

Cannot upgrade to Monterey with non-apple SSD

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253296956?answerId=256166114022#256166114022

Oct 26, 2021 6:12 PM in response to karthikn23

Update: I have raised the issue to OWC and got the following response today,

"I apologize for the confusion however at this time since Monterey is still a beta version you will be unable to update to this OS. Once this is no longer a beta version OWC will start testing our drives for capability with Apple's newest OS. 

We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you in the future. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to reach back out to me by replying to this email."

Have replied back on Monterey release status.. Hope the drivers are released soon.

Oct 26, 2021 10:25 PM in response to karthikn23

karthikn23 wrote:

Search around there was more info on these forums—

been some insight ... as to a way forward

reinstall the OEM Apple drive—then update the macOS to get the firmware/EFI into the machine, then reinstall your OWC Aura and carry on with upgrading the macOS on that drive.

Anybody facing issues in installing macOS Monterey on a Mac with SSD OWC Aura Pro x2 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.