Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Script to open Automator

I had this script to launch Automator:

tell application "Finder"

activate

open application file "Automator.app" of folder "Applications" of folder "System" of startup disk

end tell

With upgrading to 11.6.1 and Monterey on another mac the script doesn't work appropriately. If I launch the script it will open either the system application folder or the user application folder and then if the script is run again, it opens Automator as "it should".

My guess is the new OS's have "issues" with the path to Automator, but don't know how to get the script to "simply" launch Automator.

This happens on both 11.6.1 and Monterey

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 5:44 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 26, 2021 7:22 PM in response to Tony T1

Hi,

This gives me the same inconsistency. Sometimes it opens Automator, but sometimes it opens this:

THIS IS ALL SECONDARY, BUT MAY BE OF INTEREST

Please note the thread below which I posted earlier. I stumbled upon the fact that 1 user account did not have an Applications folder when I went to add an app to its Applications folder (which wasn't there). This probably has nothing to do with the Automator script, but it seems that each user has its own Application folder.

Still trying to figure out how to get an Application folder where it is currently missing from 1 user act. I have added a new user, deleted the user without the Applications folder, and still no Applications folder.

This script is for a different user account and has nothing to do with the account missing its Application folder. I have successfully used it for a long time and now won't work on either Big Sur or Monterey.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253298328

Hope I am not too confusing !!

Oct 27, 2021 8:16 PM in response to APPLEAL

Update: I reinstalled OS, still with same behavior. Of interest is that Script Editor has some similar behavior when launching it but came up with this for the workaround for the Automator issue which seems to be working:

tell application "Automator"
	activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Automator"
		click menu item "New" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
	end tell

end tell

Oct 26, 2021 10:21 PM in response to Tony T1

Here's my take after hours of working on this:

If Automator is quit and I go to my Applications folder where Automator lives, double click on it, I will frequently get a window that does not open Automator and looks like this:

Other times, double clicking opens Automator appropriately.

So, my thought is there a sporadic break in the link that opens the application. After all, it is being opened directly from the Applications folder. This does not happen with any other app in the folder.

Oct 27, 2021 4:53 PM in response to APPLEAL

Hi,

Since Automator is not opening from the applications folder as it should with its 8 different document types, but it does launch and gives me a finder type window like the one above, clicking "New Document" will get me where I want to be (it will show the startup page with the 8 documents.

What could I add to the script/s (either launches Automator but not with the startup page) that would script the pressing of the "New Document" button.

Apple is of no help! They don't support anything related to AppleScript or Automator .....hard to believe

Many thanks for your help

Script to open Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.