Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app crashes continuously on Monterey

Hi,

one day after upgrading to Monterey Notes stopped working. I cannot open the app as it immediately closes down. I have restarted Mac but the issue does not go away. My Mac is completely up-to-date. also I can access my notes on iPhone and iPad without issues.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

thanks a lot,

c

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 3:00 PM

So I have reinstalled Monterey. Same issue. I however now know the cause of the problem:

its iCloud sync. When I open notes with sync OFF it works. When I switch in ON it synchs all files and when ready crashes. It’s entirely recreatable process.

I filed a big report w apple.

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 27, 2021 5:06 AM in response to Csaba Robert Tarnai

Does the same issue present when booting into Safe Mode

Safe mode may help you resolve or isolate problems that you’re having with your Mac.

When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check.

Oct 27, 2021 10:35 AM in response to csabafromlondon

Any of the above outlined above may be a contributing factor.

Strongly suggest doing A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS. before doing anything.

Then - Restart in Recovery Mode and choose to Reinstall macOS. This will bring down the full installer and commence to install.

This method should not touch and personal files, preferences or Applications.

What it does do is replace any missing or Corrupted Elements of the System and thereby put thing right.

Oct 27, 2021 7:18 AM in response to csabafromlondon

There is a possible solution but before exploring that.

Has there ever been any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed. Any of these could have damaged the previous version of macOS before the upGrade to Monterey and now the issue has come to light.

If not >>>

Suggest downloading the Application  Etrecheck  https://etrecheck.com  directly from a well respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Oct 27, 2021 8:07 AM in response to csabafromlondon

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

Configuration profiles found - This computer may have configuration profiles installed. These are sometimes used by adware and malware.

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.florence.vpn.plist  Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect.

Old Applications:

28 x86-only apps

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Extensions

[Not Loaded] RicohUSBMerge.kext - com.ricoh.print.usbmerge (2.8)

[Running] com.jamfsoftware.jamf.agent.plist (JAMF Software - installed 2021-10-26) is this because the computer is a Work Owned Computer

Oct 27, 2021 10:21 AM in response to PRP_53

You are amazing - thanks a lot

unsigned files - these all appear to be part of an MDM managed list of WiFi locations

configuration profiles - these are the rules inside MAIL app

old apps - 28 x86-only apps - I am not running M1 so this should not be an issue, right?

kernel extension - this is my printer - it's a very old driver and I rarely use it.

So I'm still not sure what to do. I could remove Evernote incl its web clipper, Discord, Ricoh printer driver. But why would any of this impact NOTES?

any ideas really appreciated.

thanks a lot

Nov 3, 2021 6:29 AM in response to csabafromlondon

" unsigned files - these all appear to be part of an MDM managed list of WiFi locations "

Then, since the issue is from a Mobile Digital Management Service - they control what this computer can have installed and not installed as the Computer is basically Owned by them.

Would suggest contacting the IT Department of the Company and have them sort the issue

Notes app crashes continuously on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.