Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar app in macOS Monterey 12.0.1 freezes when changing dates

Since upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1, my native Calendar.app acts as if it's pulling data from remote sources each time I change the view. For example, changing the view to the next day initially shows a blank calendar, with a delay of between 5 seconds and 7 seconds until the data populates. If I go back to the previous day, which had all of its data populated before changing, the same thing happens...the day is blank, and then populates with data after a delay. Same with week, month and year views, except that each takes a longer time to load based on the number of days I'm trying to view.

Currently use Calendar.app for multiple Gmail calendars and one Outlook calendar. If I deselect the Outlook calendar, the app works like it did under Big Sur...the data seems to be housed locally, and the view updates immediately when I change dates or from day to week. So the issue seems to be with the Outlook calendar and the fact that the app seems to be making a data request with every view change (as if none of the data is cached locally). Again, this did NOT occur with Big Sur.

Guessing this is potentially a Monterey 12/12.0.1 bug? Insights welcome, please!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 6:25 AM

I'm having _exactly_ this problem as well. And the same repeatability of the issue -- if I deselect the outlook calendar (but keep the gmail calendars), issue goes away and calendar app runs fine & snappy. I reselect to add the outlook calendar and the issue returns. (At least this bug is repeatable!)

Similar questions

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 6:25 AM in response to Sean-DC

I'm having _exactly_ this problem as well. And the same repeatability of the issue -- if I deselect the outlook calendar (but keep the gmail calendars), issue goes away and calendar app runs fine & snappy. I reselect to add the outlook calendar and the issue returns. (At least this bug is repeatable!)

Oct 28, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Sean-DC

Hello Sean-DC,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that the Calendar app isn't behaving as expected with your Outlook account after upgrading to macOS Monterey.

We appreciate you sharing the steps you've taken to isolate the issue to a specific account and would like to further rule out any software or user-related causes next. If you enable the Outlook account and start your Mac in safe mode, is there any change in behavior?

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Also, do you have another user account you can log in to and test your Calendar with? If not, let's create a user account for testing:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what you find.

Take care.

Nov 7, 2021 6:16 PM in response to Sean-DC

I'm having the exact same issue with Monterey on a new M1 Pro chip MacBook Pro 14". I have iCloud, Gmail and Microsoft Exchange accounts connected to Calendar. A couple of additional observations:

1. As others have described, when I am in Day or Week view and page to the next screen, my Calendar hangs for 3 - 14 seconds while it displays the beach ball and eventually paints the page.
  2. Interestingly, if I am in Month or Year view, it scrolls seamlessly and all of the data is there.
  3. If I turn off WiFi and work completely offline, there is no change for the better or worse in any of the views.
  4. Booting in Safe Mode has no effect.
  5. If I deselect the Exchange account, Calendar will page seamlessly in all views.
  6. This MBP replaced an 8 year old MBP (late 2013 processor). I set this one up from that machine's Time Machine backup, so they are essentially identical now.in how they are set up. I have them side by side with the old MBP running Big Sur and it will seamlessly page through any Calendar view.
  7. If I have the same issue while online or offline and if scrolling is seamless in Month view, but hangs on the Day or Week, this CANNOT be an Exchange server issue. The data is clearly local and renders perfectly in Month view. This is an OS issue (Monterey).

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2021 11:28 AM in response to MichelleT18

Hi, Michelle. Apologies for the slow response on my part.

I followed both of your suggestions...starting my machine in Safe Mode had no effect on the Calendar.app slow downs/beachballs when the Outlook calendar was selected.

I also created another user account and then installed both a Gmail and Outlook calendar. Performance was great for about the first 45 seconds. I could tell that Outlook appointments were being downloaded because I received notifications for several events...after about 45 seconds, the app started hanging again when I changed dates. If I deselected the Outlook calendar, the app's performance went back to normal.

Hope this helps.

Nov 12, 2021 10:31 AM in response to Sean-DC

I'm getting exactly the same issue, changing week with Exchange calendar is really a problem as it takes extremely long. I use my Mackbook for business purposes and this is seriously impacting my performance.

It all started with Monterey 12.0.1, before it's always been super good.

I've seen several threads reporting this, and it looks like a huge thing no, so I hope this is solved soon. After 10 years avoiding using Outlook for Mac, I believe I don't have any option now :(

Nov 15, 2021 8:08 AM in response to avr1

I do have Outlook installed on my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14" laptop and it works flawlessly. As I've stated in my earlier post, I also have my 8 year old MacBook Pro still running Big Sur with ZERO lag when paging in Calendar, with the exact same accounts as my brand new MacBook Pro that has a terrible lag between pages in either Day or Week view (no lag for me in Month or Year view). Those accounts (on both laptops) are: iCloud, Gmail and Exchange. This is definitely a OS issue with Monterey, not an Outlook or hardware issue.

Nov 26, 2021 2:29 AM in response to Sean-DC

Ich habe das gleiche Problem (Kalender mit exchange O365 und Google), sowohl auf dem Mac Book Air M1 und dem iPhone 13 Pro. Ich kann so nicht mehr arbeiten!!! Ich habe mir für beide Geräte einen fremden Kalender (Kalender 366 für Mac und MiCal für iPhone) aus dem App Store gekauft und damit funktioniert alles korrekt wie es soll.

Ich denke, es kann daher nur an Apple liegen.

Calendar app in macOS Monterey 12.0.1 freezes when changing dates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.