Calendar Subscriptions Fail After Upgrade To M2 Pro Mac mini

I upgraded my intel MacBook Pro to a M2 Pro Mac mini. After using a Time Machine backup to set up my new mini I noticed that none of my Calendar subscriptions were working. They are in three broad categories; some sun/moon ones from WebCal, a group.io one for one of the groups I am part of, and a shared read-only Outlook calendar that is my work calendar.

Both the MacBook and mini are running Ventura 13.4. The Calendar on the mini is Version 13.0 (2932.5.2). I don't know what the MacBook was, it has gone back to Apple.

I have tried deleting and re-adding the subscriptions and restarting both the Calendar and the computer but get the same result each time. They all get this error:

There was an unexpected error with the request to refresh the subscribed calendar “Sun” (error 3).

It should be noted that I am subscribing via iCloud so it will remain in sync with my iPhone and iPad. The iOS and iPadOS subscriptions work fine, it is just the macOS Calendar.

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 3:09 AM

It seems like you're facing an issue with your macOS Calendar subscriptions after migrating to your M2 Pro Mac mini. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

1. Check Internet Connection:

Ensure that your Mac mini has a stable internet connection. Calendar subscriptions require an active internet connection to fetch and update data.

2. Update macOS:

Make sure your Mac mini is running the latest version of macOS Ventura. Sometimes, software updates include fixes for issues like this.

3. iCloud Sign-In:

Confirm that you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac mini using the same Apple ID that you use on your iPhone and iPad. This ensures that your calendars remain in sync across your devices.

4. Delete and Re-Add Subscriptions:

Since you've already tried this, you can attempt it again, but with a twist:

• Delete the problematic subscriptions from your macOS Calendar.
  • Restart your Mac mini.
  • Add the subscriptions again, one at a time, and check if they work after each addition. This will help identify if a specific subscription is causing the issue.

5. Firewall and Security Software:

Check if any firewall or security software on your Mac mini might be blocking Calendar from accessing the internet. Temporarily disabling such software can help diagnose the issue.

6. Keychain Access:

Sometimes, there could be keychain-related issues causing problems with subscriptions. You can try these steps:

• Open "Keychain Access" from Applications > Utilities.
  • Search for "iCloud" in the keychain list.
  • Delete any keychain entries related to iCloud.
  • Restart your Mac mini.
  • Re-add the calendar subscriptions.

7. Check iCloud Status:

Occasionally, iCloud services may experience downtime. You can check the status of iCloud services on Apple's System Status page (Apple - Support - System Status). If iCloud Calendar has an issue, you may need to wait until it's resolved.

8. Contact Apple Support:

If none of the above solutions work, it might be beneficial to contact Apple Support. They can provide more specific guidance and assistance, especially if the issue is related to your iCloud account.

Remember to back up any important calendar data before attempting any major changes or contacting support. This way, you can restore your data if necessary.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 3:09 AM in response to MagickMike

It seems like you're facing an issue with your macOS Calendar subscriptions after migrating to your M2 Pro Mac mini. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

1. Check Internet Connection:

Ensure that your Mac mini has a stable internet connection. Calendar subscriptions require an active internet connection to fetch and update data.

2. Update macOS:

Make sure your Mac mini is running the latest version of macOS Ventura. Sometimes, software updates include fixes for issues like this.

3. iCloud Sign-In:

Confirm that you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac mini using the same Apple ID that you use on your iPhone and iPad. This ensures that your calendars remain in sync across your devices.

4. Delete and Re-Add Subscriptions:

Since you've already tried this, you can attempt it again, but with a twist:

• Delete the problematic subscriptions from your macOS Calendar.
  • Restart your Mac mini.
  • Add the subscriptions again, one at a time, and check if they work after each addition. This will help identify if a specific subscription is causing the issue.

5. Firewall and Security Software:

Check if any firewall or security software on your Mac mini might be blocking Calendar from accessing the internet. Temporarily disabling such software can help diagnose the issue.

6. Keychain Access:

Sometimes, there could be keychain-related issues causing problems with subscriptions. You can try these steps:

• Open "Keychain Access" from Applications > Utilities.
  • Search for "iCloud" in the keychain list.
  • Delete any keychain entries related to iCloud.
  • Restart your Mac mini.
  • Re-add the calendar subscriptions.

7. Check iCloud Status:

Occasionally, iCloud services may experience downtime. You can check the status of iCloud services on Apple's System Status page (Apple - Support - System Status). If iCloud Calendar has an issue, you may need to wait until it's resolved.

8. Contact Apple Support:

If none of the above solutions work, it might be beneficial to contact Apple Support. They can provide more specific guidance and assistance, especially if the issue is related to your iCloud account.

Remember to back up any important calendar data before attempting any major changes or contacting support. This way, you can restore your data if necessary.

Sep 4, 2023 4:45 AM in response to flowace

1. No issues with internet connection. I have 1G fiber now but this worked fine when I had a satellite ISP.
  2. As you can see above I have Ventura 13.5.1, the latest version.
  3. All devices are signed into the same iCloud account. I am performing all of this on the macOS Calendar. Deleting the subscription deletes it from the iPad and iPhone, adding it adds it to the iPad and iPhone.
  4. Did this several times in several combinations and one at a time.
  5. I am only using the built in Firewall and specifically added Calendar to it to allow incoming.
  6. As part of my research I deleted the subscription information from the Keychain and re-added them.
  7. iCloud is fine.
  8. I have not done this yet.

These are all basic troubleshooting steps that everyone should take for just about any problem. I was hoping that Apple would correct this in the latest update. I am pretty sure when I contact Support they will take me through all of these steps again and tell me that they will add it to their bug list.

Aug 15, 2023 8:10 PM in response to MagickMike

I am having the same error code on a new M2 Macbook Pro I just got to replace an Intel Macbook Pro that suffered water damage. I did a restore from time machine. Now getting:

"There was an unexpected error with the request to refresh the subscribed calendar “**Calendar name**” (error 3)." for one one the calendars

and

"Your subscribed calendar “US Holidays” couldn’t be refreshed. There was an unexpected error with the request (domain SubCalICSDataActorErrorDomain / error 3)." for the other

Looking forward to a solution!

Sep 17, 2023 5:54 AM in response to MagickMike

After two very long sessions with Apple Support we have no resolution but we do have an indication of what the possible problem is.

The 'error 3' translates as network failure of some kind. We explored the various possibilities, rebooted in Safe Mode, turned off the Firewall, and continued to have the issue. I added the Calendar directly to the Firewall (I have no other VPN or security pieces) despite having the allow built-in software setting turned on. Still, the issue persists.

Apple then had me create a test user, with admin privileges, to see if it had the same issues. It did not, the Calendar subscriptions worked fine. On my own I created a test user with standard privileges and it also did not have the issue.

The problem appears to be that when I set the computer up I set it up directly from a Time Machine backup from my old computer rather then setting up my new user and then using Migration Assistant to move my data from the Time Machine backup. Something behind the scenes between the Intel and M2 Pro chips is creating this issue.

My next step is to create a new Admin user and then use Migration Assistant to move data from my current user to the new one. While I think that should correct the Calendar subscription issue this is a process I've never done before, copying a user on the Mac to another user on the same Mac. We'll see how that goes.

Calendar Subscriptions Fail After Upgrade To M2 Pro Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.