Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Passwords

When I enter Safari>Preferences>Passwords I get a message "Passwords Are Locked. To unlock passwords, enter the password for the user (followed by my name)". The box to Enter Password is blank. I assumed the password required was either my Apple ID password or my iMac Password. Neither worked. I then simple pressed the Enter button and I was in! Is there a way of adding a password to this box to give me a little more security?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 10:09 AM

Greetings Gareth Morris1,

We understand that you have some questions about managing your passwords in Safari on your Mac, and we'd like to help. The Passwords section of Safari Preferences is unlocked using the login password for that user account. If you would like to change that user account password, follow the steps found here:

Change the login password on Mac

Change Passwords preferences in Safari on Mac

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Gareth Morris1

Greetings Gareth Morris1,

We understand that you have some questions about managing your passwords in Safari on your Mac, and we'd like to help. The Passwords section of Safari Preferences is unlocked using the login password for that user account. If you would like to change that user account password, follow the steps found here:

Change the login password on Mac

Change Passwords preferences in Safari on Mac

Take care.

Oct 28, 2021 10:21 AM in response to MichelleT18

Hi Michelle. Thanks for getting back to me. The problem was I had reset entries in the KeyChain and somehow in that process I had done something to both my Apple ID and Mac passwords! Following advice from Apple Support I changed both and all is now well. The Password section of Safari Preferences is also working as it should. Your advice would have solved it in any case.

Safari Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.