Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command + Tap to Click bug

I am also seeing the Command + Tap to Click bug described in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252838299

on my 2021 14-inch MacBook Pro with macOS 12.0.1

I can stably reproduce this issue when I

1 move the cursor onto a link

2 hold down command button

3 without moving the cursor, tap the trackpad

--> Nothing happens, browser does not open the link in a new tab

4 tap a few times more

--> browser opens the link in new tab

I can also confirm that

• this issue applies to any combination keys (e.g. option+tap does not download, shift+tap does not open the page in a new window)
  • this issue happens at system-level, as I am able to reproduce it in Chrome, Safari and IntelliJ.

Tried resetting SMC, didn't solve the issue.

Does anyone have the same issue? Has anyone managed to fix it?

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:19 AM

Thanks here, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that issue.

Some additional things I noticed.

• Issue happens on my MacBook Pro 14-inch M1 Max.
  • Issue persisted after formatting the disk and reinstalling macOS 12.0.1, then enabling "Tap to click." (No app installed and no settings changed post installation.)
  • Issue happens in safe mode.
  • Issue happens not only with Cmd+tap, but also with Ctrl+tap. The right-click menu appears after the 3rd tap.
  • Issue is not limited to browsers. I could easily reproduce it by Ctrl+tapping on the desktop, or Cmd+tapping on methods in a Swift file in Xcode. First 2 taps are never registered, only the 3rd one.
  • Issue doesn't happen on my MacBook Pro 16-inch Core i9 mid-2018 on macOS 12.0.1.
  • Issue doesn't happen with a Magic Trackpad.

That machine is so great otherwise, it's really saddening. I'll go to an Apple Store tomorrow to verify on other MBP M1 Max.

If I can't reproduce the issue on those, I'll have to send mine back (and wait for at least 2 months until new ones start shipping :/)

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 7:19 AM in response to hugo0618

Thanks here, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that issue.

Some additional things I noticed.

• Issue happens on my MacBook Pro 14-inch M1 Max.
  • Issue persisted after formatting the disk and reinstalling macOS 12.0.1, then enabling "Tap to click." (No app installed and no settings changed post installation.)
  • Issue happens in safe mode.
  • Issue happens not only with Cmd+tap, but also with Ctrl+tap. The right-click menu appears after the 3rd tap.
  • Issue is not limited to browsers. I could easily reproduce it by Ctrl+tapping on the desktop, or Cmd+tapping on methods in a Swift file in Xcode. First 2 taps are never registered, only the 3rd one.
  • Issue doesn't happen on my MacBook Pro 16-inch Core i9 mid-2018 on macOS 12.0.1.
  • Issue doesn't happen with a Magic Trackpad.

That machine is so great otherwise, it's really saddening. I'll go to an Apple Store tomorrow to verify on other MBP M1 Max.

If I can't reproduce the issue on those, I'll have to send mine back (and wait for at least 2 months until new ones start shipping :/)

Nov 1, 2021 9:48 AM in response to hugo0618

Confirmed in Apple Store that:

1. Issue happens on all 2021 14-inch M1 Pro MBP
  2. Issue does not happens on all 2021 16-inch M1 Pro MBP
  3. Issue happens with a lower chance after using a Magic Keyboard
  4. Issue does not happens after using a Magic Trackpad

It’s a very severe problem to me so I had already returned my 14-inch MBP back. Looking forward to a solution…

Oct 27, 2021 7:38 PM in response to hugo0618

I am having this issue as well. Just purchased the brand new M1 macbook pro and it is awesome but this bug is driving me nuts, to the point where I am close to bringing it to the Apple store to have it looked at. I never had this issue on my old mac air, and because I am constantly opening new tabs with my work this is really bothersome. Can someone at Apple please work to fix this?

Oct 30, 2021 12:11 PM in response to hugo0618

update:

Just went to an Apple Store today and this seems to be a common issue with the 14-inch model.

Out of the two 14-inch demo's that I tried, both of them had this issue. I also tried a 16-inch but didn't have a problem on that one.

Given the fact that this is a long-existed issue from last year's 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro and Apple still hasn't fixed it till now, I don't expect this defect to go away any time soon.

Oct 30, 2021 8:57 PM in response to Gregouze

Wanted to echo what Hugo. Went to the Apple store to get it looked at and while I was waiting I tested other 14 inch models which had the same issue. The 16 inch model worked perfectly for me as did the older models.

Apple please work to fix this as soon as possible. This new macbook is amazing otherwise but this bug is rather annoying and the machine is too expensive to have to deal with this.

Nov 1, 2021 10:13 PM in response to ebretch

Yes, definitely. Taken individually, modifier keys and the trackpad work perfectly. it's only the combination of both that triggers the issue.

Whether Apple will fix it soon is the question. Some people starting to see a similar bug appearing on Monterey betas, and it's still there. Also "Tap to click" is off by default on fresh macOS installs, so one may think it's not a high priority issue. Fingers crossed.

Jan 23, 2022 1:49 AM in response to Songkui Cui

Here is my update after having my M1max checked by the store. The staff went through hardware check for my MBP which took around 1 h and returned it to me reporting that there was no hardware issue found in my machine. They seemed to understood the particular issue since I repeatedly showed what's going wrong there, but apparently they could not fix it and instead suggested to call the apple support.

Feb 1, 2022 9:11 AM in response to hugo0618

New MacBook M1 Pro 14-inch 16GB delivered two days ago. I have exactly the same issue - command + tap doesn't work on the first tap. Hugely frustrating and a major blow to my new Mac experience. I have always used Apple - this is my fourth MacBook Pro - and never a problem before. This needs recognising and fixing fast by Apple PLEASE!

Feb 2, 2022 3:10 AM in response to hugo0618

Updated to 12.2. The command + tap problem still exists on my 2021 Macbook Pro 14-inch. Problem existed out of the box with MBP delivered four days ago. Trackpad works fine until modifier keys are used. I notice it most when trying to open links in a new tab. First tap: nothing. Second tap: nothing. Third tap: works. Absolute core functionality. I can't believe this hasn't been rectified by Apple.

Command + Tap to Click bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.