Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF attachments are sending as icons but showing up as the body of the email rather than at attachment once it's received in an inbox?

I'm having trouble with attachments. When I select a document to attach, in either Word (doc) or pdf, sometimes the whole file opens in the body of the document, instead of just appearing as an attachment icon. I can't figure out why this only happens sometimes...seems to happen more with documents I've scanned in and saved as either Word or PDF files - what might I be doing wrong?

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 1:35 PM

On Apple Mail, in the compose window, there will be an attachment icon in the toolbar. Click that, and then on its bottom toolbar, click Options and select Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. Then either select your PDF for attachment, or Cancel, and drag/drop the PDF onto your Mail compose window.

This is the only thing. you can do that may possibly change how the mail recipients' email client (probably Outlook) handles and displays your PDF attachment.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 1:35 PM in response to efish

On Apple Mail, in the compose window, there will be an attachment icon in the toolbar. Click that, and then on its bottom toolbar, click Options and select Send Windows-Friendly Attachments. Then either select your PDF for attachment, or Cancel, and drag/drop the PDF onto your Mail compose window.

This is the only thing. you can do that may possibly change how the mail recipients' email client (probably Outlook) handles and displays your PDF attachment.

PDF attachments are sending as icons but showing up as the body of the email rather than at attachment once it's received in an inbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.