Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio after tvOS 15.1 update from 15.0

My AppleTV is completely silent after updating to 15.1 :-(

I tried every setting in the audio preferences, no luck ...

... any suggestions?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 15

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 8:42 AM

Same problem here.

I have a setup with an Apple TV HD, a projector without audio and an HDMI audio extractor in between which sends the audio to a PA system.

Since the Apple TV auto upgraded itself to 15.1.1 I have no more audio.

The device is completely useless now as I don't have any other way to get audio in that particular setup.

I've send feedback via https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv/ as well.

71 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 8:42 AM in response to slow42

Same problem here.

I have a setup with an Apple TV HD, a projector without audio and an HDMI audio extractor in between which sends the audio to a PA system.

Since the Apple TV auto upgraded itself to 15.1.1 I have no more audio.

The device is completely useless now as I don't have any other way to get audio in that particular setup.

I've send feedback via https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv/ as well.

Nov 12, 2021 9:27 AM in response to slow42

Ok, so I had this same issue happen and was able to get some information that may be helpful.

I have two Apple TV units, a 4K gen 1 and a 4K gen 2. The Gen 2 unit updated itself to tvOS 15.1.1 yesterday. At that time the Gen 1 unit was still at 15.0. I lost all audio on the setup that updated to 15.1.1 despite making no other changes and that setup having worked perfectly for years. So, here’s the setup that’s affected:

Apple TV 4K Gen 2 (and now the Gen 1 as well)

Tendak 4x1 4 Port HDMI Switcher with Audio Out (digital audio is sent from the Tendak to the Bose using RCA cable)

Bose Lifestyle 28

Sanyo PLV Z5 projector

I tried all combinations of audio settings on the Apple TV but none of them produced any audio. It had been just running defaults prior, without issue. I also tried all the usual power cycles of all equipment, and swapping cables and input ports, to no avail. I get audio from other sources with all cables on all inputs, so I know my hardware is good.

I then tried moving the Apple TV to two other Insignia televisions I have in other rooms, one of which has the same model Tendak HDMI switch, but I am not using the audio extract feature there. In both cases the audio works perfectly. So, I know that the Apple TV hardware is not broken.

Next I installed the Gen 1 Apple TV 4K, still running tvOS 15.0 on the setup above, and now I have sound, again confirming that there is no issue with my setup.

so, what has been confirmed is that in tvOS 15.1 or 15.1.1, Apple introduced an error into the audio stream that didn’t used to be there, and is incompatible with some audio equipment. For those with newer audio equipment, it may be possible to get a firmware update to that device which will resolve the issue. For at least some of us, that’s not an option, and Apple needs to fix this regression, even if it only affects a small number of users.

I recommend that anyone who has this issue and finds this thread, please post which specific TV or audio equipment you have where you are getting no audio, and hopefully Apple engineers will see this and be able to use the information to develop a fix.

As a side note, I bought the 2nd ATV 4K because several months ago a software update to my Roku media player similarly killed audio output in my home theater setup, though in that case it produced an ear splitting whine. I just checked and Roku appears to have corrected the issue. I hope Apple sees fit to do the same.

p.s. I neglected to disable updates on my second AppleTV, so it updated itself and is now producing no audio. Looks like Roku gets its spot back in my living room.

Nov 14, 2021 9:32 AM in response to John—S

My ONKYO TX-NR717 no longer produces audio via HDMI after the 15.1.1 update. I have 4 Apple TVs of different flavors, including the newest version. Yes, the recover is 8 years old, but it’s a 110 watts per channel of needed power. Unless Apple fixes this soon, one of my entertainment systems will require a receiver update. I do not want to spend that kind of money for a couple lines of overlooked code.

Nov 16, 2021 10:51 AM in response to slow42

Same problem. After update from 15.0 to 15.1.1 no sound from AppleTV 4k (1. gen.) connected as one input to HDMI 2x4 Matrix switch with Toslink sound extractor. Direct connection to TV works, but is no option, since I need the Toslink connector for my old Bose system, and I'd like to switch HDMI sources just like before the update, and I normally use a projector which has no own sound output anyway. Tried various sound settings on AppleTV, no success. Contacted manufacturer of HDMI switch (EZCOO Inc., great support!), luckily the HDMI switch offers at least a workaround: Switching sound output to 2ch via dip switch. Of course this is no real solution, since I'd like 5.1 sound as worked before the AppleTV update, and which is configured in AppleTV.

Checked my other AppleTV (FullHD), everything just the same.

Contacted also Apple support when I realised there is a problem, and wrote to them via their feedback web page. Strongly hope they'll fix it...

Nov 17, 2021 5:13 PM in response to slow42

I've upgraded to 15.1.1 from 14.x and it also killed our audio. Have spent several hours toggling settings, resetting device, etc. Nothing seems to work. Disappointing and frustrating. Checked with an av friend and he's seeing similar issues from folks that took the upgrade. Not sure what we can do without a fix. Unfortunately we can't revert the update so we're stuck.

Nov 17, 2021 7:06 PM in response to slow42

Same problem here, with an Apple TV HD 4th generation, going into a Sony STR-DH820 audiovisual receiver. The receiver passes the video through to my projector, but I get no audio. (I do get audio if I plug the Apple TV directly into a television though.) This setup has worked for years until a recent tvOS update. Changing the Apple TV's audio format setting to Stereo doesn't help, nor does changing the Audio Mode setting from Auto to 16 bit.

Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM in response to slow42

Just got off a long phone call with Apple about this. The front-line support person handed me off to a friendly techie, who went away and talked to some colleagues about it for several minutes. He didn't come back with an immediate solution, but he did enter it into their internal case tracking system. I made sure he included the link to this thread, to show that a number of people are having the same issue. (And I'll bet it would help if more folks were to chime in here! Especially if you can say what sort of receiver or HDMI switch box or other equipment is at the other end of the HDMI cable.) He wasn't in a position to predict anything definite, but he said it sounded like the sort of thing that might end up in a 15.1.x "hot fix" at some point. And he said he'd email me if that internal case report ends up getting resolved one way or another. If and when that happens, I'll report back here. (And as a side note, this was the first time I've ever called Apple for tech support, and I was impressed with both of the people I spoke with.)

Nov 18, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Tim_Klein

It is oddly comforting that I’m not the only one with this issue. Apple automatically updated the software to 15.1 on Tuesday and I immediately noticed I had no audio. I called support - they were convinced it was my tv. Called Samsung and did an audio test and software check - all passed. Then support sent me to the store. The store was stumped and sent me back to phone support… 7 Apple experts later and no resolve. I’m so frustrated bc I keep telling them I know it’s the upgrade bc I was using Apple TV right before the update and everything was fine. Immediately after, no audio.

My Apple TV plugs into an HDMI which goes directly into my HDMI 1 dock in my Samsung TV.

The support escalated my ticket to engineering yesterday but I’m hoping for a fix…yesterday!

No audio after tvOS 15.1 update from 15.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.