Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Bluetooth

There seems to be a change with Monterey. A Bluetooth device I have used for a long time, a diving computer, connects normally but after 10s of no use it is auto disconnecting.

If I start my application quickly after making the Bluetooth connection it stays connected and works normally. As soon as I close my application the Bluetooth connection auto disconnects straight away.

I have a Bluetooth mouse that is working normally.

Testing on a Mac mini but other users have reported the same issue.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 7:14 AM

15 replies

Nov 2, 2021 1:35 PM in response to BrianNorman

So. you are trying to get data from your dive computer to your Mac via Bluetooth? Is there no way to hook it up manually? I'm thinking about testing it if there is any other way to make sure the diving computer and your mac is compatible? There are cases of certain older applications not being compatible with Monterey, also connections with some USB hubs. What sort of application are you using? Could it be updated?

Nov 4, 2021 12:23 PM in response to BrianNorman

Yup, I just upgraded my 2019 iMac to Monterey and my wireless headphones no longer connect. Actually, they connect and immediately disconnect. Sys pref show them con/discon. Worked just fine before the upgrade. I recall seeing a passkey error message while testing but don't recall where I saw it. I've tried to decypher the sys log but don't get any useful info from there. Don't know the reset button combo for my headphones or I would have tried it. I did try resetting NVRAM PRAM but no help there. Its something to do with the handshake between my headphone and Monterey. Security issue?

Just a guess but I think your dive computer connection is broken in the same way as my headphones. And I think its some sort of issue ... PIN ... passkey ... ?

Nov 5, 2021 2:34 AM in response to pranitaphadnis

Hi, I found a partial workaround that might help others.

System Preferences / Bluetooth. Right click the connection and 'Connect'. In my case it stays connected for 10s before disconnecting. If I start my software within the 10s and it starts its communications then my system runs normally.

This does not work every time. Sometimes removing, adding again, connecting, then starting my software works.

No response from Apple so far.

Nov 23, 2021 6:57 PM in response to xv323

Same with my Docks bluetooth headphones except it keeps flipping between disconnected/connected. Monterey/iso 15 both playing up. If connected and 'in use' I.e. Video/audio running it stays connected but immediately starts toggling between connect/disconnect if you quit the the audio app....if that makes sense.

Nov 25, 2021 11:44 AM in response to BrianNorman

that might explain why ToothFairy works for me. and why previously Apple Music sometimes works half assed with Bluetooth -sometimes audio linked, sometimes no audio transmission but control of playback (on internal speakers).

I paid for installed the ToothFairy app in desperation. and after a shaky start, and a reboot (as a login item) I have found that it mostly enables connection to my bluetooth earbuds, but not my bluetooth mouse.

connection however still seems most reliable when audio is being continuously streamed.

note: it seems that it is best to ignore the label connected and disconnected and rely only on the evidence in your ears of connection, because the onscreen bluetooth connection status labels seem to be even more unreliable than the connection itself.

So it seems my initial conjecture that part of the issue is the power management of the bluetooth chip, may indeed be correct- despite Apples censor removing other posts regarding the issue because they were too speculative for the Apple Community discussion boards.

Monterey Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.