Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 2015 Macbook pro to Big Sur

I got a 2015 Macbook pro for my son for Xmas. It is running High Sierra but I'd like to update it to Big Sur. Everything I've read says it's compatible. MY personal Macbook Air is 2010 and it is running Big Sur. When I looked at the pro's settings to see if there was an update available there wasn't. I just received it and haven't been using it (obviously... it's for my son) but since I bought it certified refurbished I did want to make sure everything was in working order.

I'd be happy to provide any further information if that would be helpful. I've noticed this question has been asked a few times but has gone unanswered. Surely it is possible to update.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 12:57 PM

See instructions in How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Or you may want to upgrade to the latest macOS -- see: How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

2 replies

Oct 28, 2021 2:28 PM in response to cecile177

you can do what you want to do, but you do need to make sure that any apps your son uses a lot (or would miss if he didn't have them) are still going to work on Big Sur.

The big leap in the system upgrade you have in mind can mean that some apps no longer work at all. You/he can check through the apps he uses here >

https://roaringapps.com/collections/list-of-32-bit-macos-apps

Also, don't do anything without making a backup. Without a backup, if anything goes wrong, you may lose everything. With a backup, you're always safe. It's essential.

The link that FoxFifth supplied will take you to the download for the upgrade. But that's the easy bit. Making sure you're well prepared (eg checking existing set up is in good condition, apps will still work, the MacBook has enough disk space, you're backed up) is vital.

Update 2015 Macbook pro to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.