Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-a female to lightning adapter iPad 8th gen

I want to use my camera that has a usb-a connector, that I plug into my laptop for a better camera. Is there a lightning to usb-a female adaptor for 8th gen iPad?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:09 AM

If your iPad has a Lightning port - and you seek to connect a USB device to the iPad - you will require a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

You cannot directly connect USB accessories to a Lightning equipped iPad by way of a cable alone - and a simple plug-adapter won’t work. USB accessories with USB Type-B connections (or a cable with a USB Type-A connector) require connection to a host device with a USB Controller / USB Root Hub.

The required USB hardware components can be added through connection of the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. This adapter contains an Interface converter, USB 3.0 Controller and USB Root Hub - presenting a USB 3.0 Type-A connection to which you may connect many (but not all) categories of USB devices. USB Device support by iPad is generally limited to Mass Storage devices, basic HID devices (such as wired Keyboard and basic Mouse) and some audio.

Be aware that most camera connections are limited to transferring pictures from storage to the iPad - and that for many cameras you must select the correct mode (PTP/MTP).

For iPad models that incorporate a USB-C port, you have greater flexibility in the devices that can be directly connect to the iPad - as the necessary USB Controller is already incorporated in the iPad hardware; no interface conversion is required.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 1:09 AM in response to Griffo09

If your iPad has a Lightning port - and you seek to connect a USB device to the iPad - you will require a Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

You cannot directly connect USB accessories to a Lightning equipped iPad by way of a cable alone - and a simple plug-adapter won’t work. USB accessories with USB Type-B connections (or a cable with a USB Type-A connector) require connection to a host device with a USB Controller / USB Root Hub.

The required USB hardware components can be added through connection of the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. This adapter contains an Interface converter, USB 3.0 Controller and USB Root Hub - presenting a USB 3.0 Type-A connection to which you may connect many (but not all) categories of USB devices. USB Device support by iPad is generally limited to Mass Storage devices, basic HID devices (such as wired Keyboard and basic Mouse) and some audio.

Be aware that most camera connections are limited to transferring pictures from storage to the iPad - and that for many cameras you must select the correct mode (PTP/MTP).

For iPad models that incorporate a USB-C port, you have greater flexibility in the devices that can be directly connect to the iPad - as the necessary USB Controller is already incorporated in the iPad hardware; no interface conversion is required.

Oct 29, 2021 2:22 AM in response to LotusPilot

USB3 adapters offer greater speed and efficiency over that of the much older USB 2.0 standard - typically ten times faster.

For the benefit of complete information, the recommended Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter provides significantly greater flexibility and faster transfer speeds - in addition to providing the capability to simultaneously connect your Power Adapter. In practice, if you are purchasing a new adapter, this item will be considerably more flexible in context of USB devices that you will be able to successfully connect (and use) with your iPad. When used with your iPad Power Adapter, direct connection of USB storage devices and card readers is possible.

By contrast, Apple’s earlier version Camera Adapter is the much slower USB2 standard - and lacks an additional pass-through power connection. Whilst this adapter is still available from Apple, and is slightly cheaper than the USB3 version, you will be limited in being able connect only very low-power USB devices, or a those that have their own internal source of power. You will not be able to directly connect USB storage devices or the majority of external card-readers.

• Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MD821ZM/A

There are also third party Lightning to USB Adapters. Reports seen within these communities are mixed, some reporting success - whist many report difficulties with third-party adapters. Recommendation here will generally advise that you choose an Apple branded Adapter for this purpose - whichever “version” you ultimately choose.

Now armed with a complete set information, you will be able to make an informed decision as to which USB Adapter best fits your own needs.

Oct 29, 2021 1:22 AM in response to Griffo09

If your camera has a USB Mass Storage mode and can use the battery power from your camera, to transfer images via the camera's USB Mass Storage mode/feature, the Lightning to USB adapter I linked WILL work for you.

I have two of these adapters and a bunch of digital cameras that use the USB Mass Storage feature/standard and if you downlaod images with the camera connected to the iPad and camera using its own battery power or charging adapter plugged in, you can easily transfer images from the camera to the iPad's Photo app using the Apple adapter I linked with your camera connected an in USB Mass Storage mode with NO ISSUES.

I do this all the time with images I download from my camera.

If this adapter does NOT work with your camera or your camera does NOT support the USB Mass Storage protocol/feature, then you will need to follow Lotus Pilot's advice.

USB-a female to lightning adapter iPad 8th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.