Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 2020 - Monterey Update not available "The requested version of macOS is not available because this update is managed by your system administrator."

"The requested version of macOS is not available because this update is managed by your system administrator."

I get this error and absolutely no explanations of how to fix it.

My mac is new from the shop.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:41 AM

New as is Brand New and never been used by anyone ever or New to you but a used or refurbished unit.

If the second of the two - this might be a Demo computer and was not properly wipe and de-registered from an MDM Service.

Check in Users & Groups and see of there are any Other Unknown Account appear besides your account. If so, that might be the issue - Mobile Digital Management Service is installed and until that is fixed - there is noting the user can do to fix this. Take it back and get a refund.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 4:41 AM in response to andriy119

New as is Brand New and never been used by anyone ever or New to you but a used or refurbished unit.

If the second of the two - this might be a Demo computer and was not properly wipe and de-registered from an MDM Service.

Check in Users & Groups and see of there are any Other Unknown Account appear besides your account. If so, that might be the issue - Mobile Digital Management Service is installed and until that is fixed - there is noting the user can do to fix this. Take it back and get a refund.

Nov 4, 2021 8:44 AM in response to PRP_53

It was sealed and not used by anyone else. Also, I have only two users: My main user with "Admin" access and a Guest, that is turned off.

There is also the same issue with my iMac 2019

I found that some custom profiles might block those updates, it is a must for my work to have them, I am not sure how can I edit it and which flags to look at to be sure that this is the cause.

Now there is definitely one option that looks strange but logically it should not be the issue:

macOS SoftwareUpdate: Automatically install macOS updates - False

So I don't see the update to the new macOS button in software updates settings, instead, I try to do it from the App store - and it fails with the error above.

And I confirm that I can update apps with no problem, but not the macOS.

Maybe this is what you could shine some light on?

Thank you!

Nov 4, 2021 8:40 AM in response to andriy119

The Profiles mentioned might be because this computer was Enrolled by the Company to a Mobile Digital Management Service ( MDM for Short. )

If that is accurate, they have control over the computer and decided was can be installed and what can not be installed. There is nothing the User ( you ) can do about this except speak to the company IT Departments.

Nov 4, 2021 9:15 AM in response to andriy119

BYOD Bring Your Own Device here means you have ceded control of this Mac to the affiliated organization’s IT, including updates.

They’re probably staging updates until after they can test the apps on newer macOS, or until they can roll out newer app updates, rather than running development betas ahead and verifying app operations prior to widespread availability.

If you have the storage for it, installing a work partition and a home partition can be an option, as much as I dislike partitioning. This assuming that this Mac hasn’t been completely locked down.

Nov 18, 2021 3:04 PM in response to snorlakkkk

I’d start with a hypervisor guest running Monterey as the least disruptive, or yes, with an added partition and dual boot.

That’s probably not going to under the control of IT, but how locked down this Mac might be?

You’re probably best discussing this with IT regardless.

If this Mac is instrumented, IT will see at least the storage usage change.

M1 2020 - Monterey Update not available "The requested version of macOS is not available because this update is managed by your system administrator."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.