Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Error occurred while preparing the installation of macOS Monterey!

This happens every time I try to install even on safe mode! :(

Can anyone help me overcome this problem?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 12:39 PM

Is an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 12:39 PM in response to miguelfurtado

Is an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

An Error occurred while preparing the installation of macOS Monterey!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.