Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey killed my MacBook Pro.

I was updating my MacBook Pro from 2018 and it was doing fine until the screen suddenly turned black and now it won't turn on. I've checked the outlet, the cable, the brick, everything. I've held power for 10 seconds and nothing happens. I have no signs of life on my MacBook.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:28 PM

44 replies

Nov 9, 2021 12:17 AM in response to keikowo

I agree. I have the same model and mine is bricked as well. Apple is asking to pay 822 USD to change the logical board which is not fair for an issue created by their software update.

The apple technician also asked me that if i can spend 2000+ USD to buy a laptop, why didn't i pay a little more and get apple care as well. At the end, he made me feel like it was my mistake of

1. Updating the OS this early.
  2. Not opting for apple care.

Oct 29, 2021 4:59 PM in response to Kevitron

If your Apple Store is knowledgeable they can do DFU procedure for reviving your laptop as they did to me in mine. I don’t know if the problem is really the hardware as many people and one acquaintance in other country were told to get very expensive replacement of hardware but this worked to me. So far Monterey is working with one year old laptop with no issues. This wasn’t supposed to happen with a relatively new model nor older models suggested to update. Good luck!

Nov 2, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Kevitron

Same here with a 2018 13" MacBook Pro. I updated yesterday, and since It's crashed twice after getting the spinning ball, and both times a file with a question mark flashed on the black screen. Google tells me that has something to do with the startup disk being bad. I was able to get it back by holding the power button, but not sure at what point that will cease to work. Hopefully somebody at Apple is tracking this.

Nov 3, 2021 6:26 AM in response to Kevitron

Same here!

while updating I heard a sound and the smell of something burned. The screen is now black. I can still hear the boot sound but can’t see anything. Obviously there is a hardware problem.

I brought it to the Genius Bar today and they will take a look. But I am out of warranty and absolutely not willing to pay!

The guys at the store weren’t even aware of this problem and told me I’ll find anything on google if I want to.

This is not the way to go apple. I am not paying such a premium so you can charge me even more for something I didn’t cause!

Nov 3, 2021 6:44 AM in response to ilyasoezer

You may have a more serious issue ilyasoezer, you should never smell anything burning coming from your device - I never had any kind of smell coming from my laptop. Just the black screen and the device being dead. They fixed it by flashing the BIOS and giving the battery some juice. Which I find odd because I had the laptop plugged in when it was updating so I have no idea how it went to absolute zero.

Either way. Good luck!

Nov 3, 2021 7:02 AM in response to Kevitron

I know that’s why I was shocked. I always take good care of my devices. There is no way I caused it. Especially because I don’t seem to be the only one with the problem.

I’ve seen a few people here on the forums as well as some on Twitter saying the same.

I really hope Apple recognizes this.

I didn’t cause it so I won’t pay for it. Simple as that.

Nov 3, 2021 10:14 PM in response to Kevitron

i updated 2 Mac at the same time. One is Pro and one is Air, both 2020 versions. All are on intel chip. Air was fine after upgrade. Pro one is dead as cold now. Didnt come back after restart. 2020 Macbook Pro with i5 and 16gb ram. I tried SMC, tried reviving using another mac snd didnt work. Going to take it to genius bar tomorrow. I am in the middle of my semester and this is really frustrating.

Nov 9, 2021 12:10 AM in response to Kevitron

Same issue for me, for my MacBook Pro 2019. I was forced to do an update and prior to updating, everything was perfectly fine. After the update, my computer never turned back on, it wasn’t black screen, it just wouldn’t turn on at all.

I talked to customer support which eventually led to them telling me to take it in to an Apple store. The technician worked on it for awhile and told me it was not turning on, and it needed to be sent in and that I had two options. Pay 200+ for a battery to see if it was that issue or pay the 500-600+ for all repairs non battery related. I tried for the battery but after a couple of days they called me and told me my battery was completely fine and it was my logicboard that was not working. Meaning that I had to pay the 500-600+ if I wanted to get my MacBook to work again.

So in the end, it’s either pay half the value of the laptop that is older or don’t pay and have a dead laptop. I will not be paying for an Apple related software mistake. This is a software created for Apple by Apple for Apple products, and to charge that high of a price for something that was out of our control as a consumer is unjust. I’m just hoping that more people speak up on this issue so that Apple can address this, especially since most laptops affected seem to be the same model/year (in this forum).

Nov 9, 2021 12:39 AM in response to Tushkee

Yes! I got asked the same thing in which I responded saying that Apple care is great for people who tend to crack their screen or overcharge their batteries, etc (basically an issue caused BY the consumer) but why would I pay for something that should not be happen? Like I would understand if everything wasn’t made in house, but it’s apples own software update from their own company? Why would I pay for an inconvenience caused by the people I am already paying that 2000+ price tag for?

my technician was very nice, and I am sure he mentioned Apple care just to see if I could save some money. And it’s not his fault what so ever, but I wish Apple themselves would not insinuate that it is a consumer issue for their software problems. This is something they should cover or atleast not have it run more than half the original value of the laptop.

But even so, even with Apple care, you would still have to pay a couple hundred dollars regardless for an issue that was not a consumer issue. I’m just hoping we get an Apple rep to reply to one of these messages.

822+ for your computer repair is outrageous, I would have just sold the Apple parts online at that point.

Nov 9, 2021 12:47 AM in response to brian23_ldu

Yes I agree, I’ve been an Apple customer since they released but now after this happening, I hate the idea of buying a new MacBook in fear this would just happen again. Even with Apple care, it would still cost a premium if this issue continues again.

Don’t get me wrong, I know other companies also don’t fix/guarantee anything if your computer dies, but I have had other laptops and they have never died from their end- It was never a failure due to me having to do something like an update like with Apple.

Also, not sure about what would happen even if you fixed it and another update came around and killed it again? Pay another $$ or is that covered? I wouldn’t risk it.

all we can do is hope for the best.

Nov 9, 2021 7:07 PM in response to Kevitron

The same thing here. I’m so frustrated. Last year 1% max charge battery issue; today Monterey update deadly killed my 2016 MacBook Pro ; I need my project to get done by tomorrow and now I don’t have a laptop to complete it. Apple has to fix this issue ASAP, we shouldn’t have to pay a single dollar for fixing the issue created by their software; because of this issue I’m about to lose my job- will Apple Pay for my lost job?!?!

Monterey killed my MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.