Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID Not Working after Monterey Installed

Touch ID stopped working. I restarted my iMac (it's the latest M1 iMac) and Touch ID again started to work. After a few hours, it stopped working again.

I assume it is a Monterey software fault.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 3:41 PM

46 replies

Nov 8, 2021 2:17 PM in response to LarryLosAngeles

I'm running the latest Monterey and Touch ID started failing intermittently before not working ever on my 2019 MacBook Air (Intel with T2 chip). I searched and found a recommendation to reset the SMC (System Management Controller) to address Touch ID issues. I did so after deleting all my registered fingerprints.

After shutting down and restarting again for good measure after the SMC reset, I added a couple fingerprints and Touch ID seems to be working normally again (knock on wood :-).

I see folks with M1-based Macs complaining about the same issue - perhaps an SMC reset will work there too.

Feb 22, 2022 1:58 PM in response to Bearded_Yoda

@Bearded_Yoda wrote:

The SMC solution is not applicable for the Macs with M1 chip [...]

Yeah... I posted a mia-culpa / correction / apology regarding my wishful thinking about an SMC reset being a helpful idea for M1 Macbook owners when I discovered that. Apparently edits become impossible once a post is marked "Helpful" or maybe just someone next replies to a thread :-).

Have you gotten on the phone with the Apple Support folks about this? I would try that if I had a newer Macbook and was experiencing this issue. They don't monitor this forum (at least not officially).

FWIW, the Touch ID feature of my Intel-based macbook has continued to work just fine for nearly 4 months since that SMC reset and post (knock on wood :-).

Nov 17, 2021 9:21 AM in response to LarryLosAngeles

I have an M1 Macbook with wireless keyboard. In my case, the touch ID onboard works fine, but on my new external/wireless keyboard, it would stop working after sleep.

For now I found 2 temporary "workarounds":

1. Turn the wireless keyboard off and on. OR
  2. Without touching the physical on/off switch, log in to MacOS > Click on the BLUETOOTH icon on the menu bar on the top right screen > Click on the wireless keyboard to disconnect > Click again to re-connect.

Hopefully Apple will fix this issue in the short future.

Jan 10, 2022 6:18 AM in response to trudy999

trudy999, here is tgasc's comment that I was referring to, about rebooting:

I have an M1 Macbook with wireless keyboard. In my case, the touch ID onboard works fine, but on my new external/wireless keyboard, it would stop working after sleep.

For now I found 2 temporary "workarounds":

1. Turn the wireless keyboard off and on.

OR

1. Without touching the physical on/off switch, log in to MacOS > Click on the BLUETOOTH icon on the menu bar on the top right screen > Click on the wireless keyboard to disconnect > Click again to re-connect.

Oct 31, 2021 9:18 AM in response to LarryLosAngeles

What I discovered is that if I turn OFF the wireless keyboard and then turn it back on, Touch ID works again. This is not a permanent fix, but it is easier than re-booting the computer and just takes a few seconds.

I will assume that Apple knows of this bug and will fix it in an upcoming update.

If you have any real fixes, please let us know.

Nov 5, 2021 8:28 PM in response to green500

I also lost the use of my Touch ID and Bluetooth mouse (vertical scroll stopped working first, then all of it) directly after the Monterey install. (which took longer than most installs) For the Touch ID, at first it worked when I depressed the button, then I tried to add another finger's print, now it doesn't work at all. For the mouse, at first, when I turned my mouse off and then back on it worked again, but then it failed again and now won't even pair. (I charged it, turned it on and off several times.) My mac, keyboard, and mouse are brand new. Mahalo in advance for figuring a solution!

Nov 8, 2021 3:27 PM in response to LarryLosAngeles

It's intermittent for me. And today (for the first time) the Magic Trackpad also disconnected from my iMac (m1) and would only work if plugged in with the lightning cable. But if I plugged it in, then the keyboard stopped working (completely). So I had to go back and forth plugging each one in, then restarted the machine and now both work again (for now....). What a mess.

Nov 8, 2021 3:42 PM in response to LarryLosAngeles

@LarryLosAngeles wrote:

> For me, just turning off the wireless keyboard and turning it back on has worked.

I saw that... Since my MacBook's keyboard isn't independently-wireless and turning the whole **** computer off & on didn't fix it, I had to keep looking for a fix or get used to just using my password :-).

Hopefully the SMC reset that appears to have fixed my issue will do the trick for those with integrated/wired keyboards as well.

Touch ID Not Working after Monterey Installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.