Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do not Apple Silicon USB-C Port Support Data Transfer via Hub?

I bought Hama USB-C Hub, Multiport, 5 Ports, 2 x USB-A, USB-C, HDMI™, LAN/Ethernet (GTIN: 4047443436818) from Turkey at last month. As I read on both technical specifications and user manual, the USB-C port on device is bi- directional; it both supports PD and data transfer. I tested this functionality both Windows 10 & 11 and macOS with M1 (Apple Silicon) chip. On Windows , the port works bi-directional perfectly. However, Apple Silicon device not support data transfer from port, supports only power delivery. It is a behavior of Apple silicon port management or caused from broken hub ? If I connect a USB-C device from mac port directly, it runs perfectly.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Yes. I have 4-port iMac M1. After posting here, I attached the hub to USB & ThunderBolt 4 port. Due to my M1 iMac cannot charged with PD, USB controller closes this port I think. After connecting the hub to USB-C 3.2 port, USB-C port on the hub was started working. This is not an issue, it causes from misunderstanding how the iMac ports behave. Issue is resolved now.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 10:11 AM in response to den.thed

Yes. I have 4-port iMac M1. After posting here, I attached the hub to USB & ThunderBolt 4 port. Due to my M1 iMac cannot charged with PD, USB controller closes this port I think. After connecting the hub to USB-C 3.2 port, USB-C port on the hub was started working. This is not an issue, it causes from misunderstanding how the iMac ports behave. Issue is resolved now.

Do not Apple Silicon USB-C Port Support Data Transfer via Hub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.