Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing McAfee LiveSafe from your Mac - response (no need to instal another programme!)

I'm posting this as I spent a lot of time figuring it out and none of the provided replies helped

I wanted to remove McAfee LiveSafe from my Mac but the steps provided on the MacAfee page referred to a programme that simply wasn't there on my Mac, while clicking uninstall on the McAfee programme itself referred me to deleting the McAfee Safari Host application, which I could not delete from Applications because it was "in use", but when I tried to kill it in Activity Monitor, it just opened up the McAfee programme again, and it went all like this in circles.

So, finally, the steps to truly remove it, manually and without downloading any additional programme, are:

• to start with, remove the LiveSafe app
  • click Uninstall McAfee Safari Host in McAfee programme, which will notify you that you need to delete that app first, but it will also give you an option to locate the app (and the connected apps) in the Applications folder (located under System part of your Mac)
  • there will be three apps, McAfee Safari Host, McAfee Report and another that starts with an "M" - you can't delete them because they are actively running, and you can't quit or force quit them in Activity Monitor either BUT you can right click on them and select Show Package Contents - and this will show you a folder under the app, which you CAN move to the Bin (upon authorising it with admin password)
  • Once you have deleted these folders, you are not able to quit these apps in Activity Monitor, and finally, move the apps to the Bin
  • don't forget to empty the bin, to finalise the process

Hope this will help you, too! My Mac is finally free

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 5:13 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Removing McAfee LiveSafe from your Mac - response (no need to instal another programme!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.