Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Bug] Export to pdf on Preview (Monterey)

Hello! I installed Monterey 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) but I have problem with "Preview".

When I open a PDF files and add personal text (for example), I can't click on "Export to PDF" because the menu item is disable.

Until a few days ago, I was doing the same things with BigSur and this feature was enabled.

Can you fix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:01 AM

The Preview in Monterey may not have the same functionality as in Big Sur because Apple can and often does change application functionality between operating system upgrades.

If you require your annotations in a separate PDF, and Export to PDF… is not working, then you still have Option key + Save As, or Print… > PDF > Save As PDF functionality. Just change the name of the new PDF in the dialog panel.

102 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 7:01 AM in response to mikekillthedog

The Preview in Monterey may not have the same functionality as in Big Sur because Apple can and often does change application functionality between operating system upgrades.

If you require your annotations in a separate PDF, and Export to PDF… is not working, then you still have Option key + Save As, or Print… > PDF > Save As PDF functionality. Just change the name of the new PDF in the dialog panel.

Feb 12, 2022 7:13 AM in response to mikekillthedog

Follow my steps on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253311624?answerId=256850060022#256850060022 and then do the following:

• Right-click (or hold down Control and then click) the duplicate and you will see this:

• Now click on 'Get Info' and you will see this:

• Now click on the checkbox next to 'Locked' and a tick mark should appear inside it.
  • This makes the duplicate read-only (not editable).

Oct 30, 2021 6:28 PM in response to mikekillthedog

I'm having the same problem! I receive Docusign PDFs and with Big Sur I could "Export as PDF" separate docs and then combine them into one file (couldn't combine them without "Export as PDF" first). With Monterey I cannot do that, and I have not found a way to combine Docusign (or protected) PDFs into a single file - e.g. contract + addendums. I can export to a PNG, and then export that to a PDF but the new PDF shows the first page over and over - e.g. a 13 page doc will now be a PDF with the first page 13 times...

Feb 12, 2022 10:11 AM in response to mikekillthedog

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed ⬅︎

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading) ⬅︎

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files ⬅︎

Dec 15, 2021 11:07 AM in response to mikekillthedog

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 3, 2021 1:58 PM in response to tryyeetingit

After even more research, it looks like annotation metadata has been included in files annotated by Preview as far back as 2013! Complete with the account display name of the macOS user who made the edits.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/101452/remove-author-metadata-from-pdf-annotations-in-preview

You can view annotations in PDFs by going to Tools > Show Inspector > Annotations. Here is an old screenshot from 2014:

So it looks like the only thing new here is that Monterey allows you to edit annotations previously made, just by opening the PDF. In theory you can now edit annotations made as far back as macOS Yosemite (although I haven't tested it).

If you want to flatten the PDF, you can use Chrome to "print" to PDF. If you try to do the same with Safari, it will still include the annotation metadata.

Aug 31, 2022 5:05 PM in response to VikingOSX

Same problem, Chrome browser and Monterey BUT, I managed to "print as pdf" (I don't know about annotations). It is "Command+P", then chose "Print as PDF", then I clicked "More Settings" and chose the lower option "Open PDF in Preview", then "Print" and back down at the left appeared "PDF". Cliked the arrow down and "Save as PDF", chose the destination on the window that opened and then... THAT's IT, I could finally save the page I had opened in Chrome Browser as a PDF file.

This is a very annoying and confusing bug (if you can call it that way) in Monterey, because it includes the option but then you get stuck on that greyed out window with nothing happening, it's absurd. Or, Apple decided to make complex something that was and should be really quick and simple. I hope it works for you too.

[Bug] Export to pdf on Preview (Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.