Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with External Display

I'm thinking of buying a MBPro, but I want to use it with an external display that I already have (with ext wired Apple keyboard and mouse), and with the laptop lid *closed*. In the old days, I'd use a docking station, but I don't see anything like that on the Apple Store UK site. So I'd like to know:

1. will be external display (and keyboard and mouse) function properly with the MBPro lid closed, and
  2. will the battery degrade if I keep the laptop plugged in and in sleep mode all the time, and
  3. is it possible to replicate the functional set-up of a docking station with a MBPro?

Many thanks for any guidance or advice you can offer. I'd get an iMac but I'd like to have the dual purpose use at a desk or on the go.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 8:32 AM

1 - Yes, Clamshell mode still works as always, just make sure to maintain good airflow around to keep things cool

2 - Don't worry, no damage. Macs have an energy management system that will charge the battery when it's needed (you can manually force it to charge when you need it).

Learn more here Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

3 - I don't see why not. I believe soon we'll see some really good docks for the new Macs.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 8:32 AM in response to MiskyBr

1 - Yes, Clamshell mode still works as always, just make sure to maintain good airflow around to keep things cool

2 - Don't worry, no damage. Macs have an energy management system that will charge the battery when it's needed (you can manually force it to charge when you need it).

Learn more here Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

3 - I don't see why not. I believe soon we'll see some really good docks for the new Macs.

Oct 30, 2021 10:04 AM in response to MiskyBr

Great advice from Rafael Scheid above.

I would add that if you have room, using BOTH an external display and the built-in display adds substantial amount of screen real estate that can be used for more things. in Extended desktop mode, you are free to think of the combine area of your two displays as one continuous Extended desktop, and can open windows across the boundary between display and they will still behave and scroll "the right way". or you can treat them as two separate displays when you prefer.

Some folks like to open the notebook at desk level, and put a block of wood under the Big Display to raise it above the opened notebook screen above.

MacBook Pro with External Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.