Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Pan is missing on new Macbook Pro 14 with MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey

I'm trying to follow the instructions here Use a mobile phone to connect your Mac to the internet - Apple Atbalsts (LV) to connect to the internet on my mac via Bluetooth PAN.

On Step 3 it states

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Network , then click Bluetooth PAN in the list on the left.
If Bluetooth PAN isn’t available, click the Add button , click the Interface pop-up menu, then choose Bluetooth PAN.

The Network pane doesn't have a Bluetooth PAN option

And the + button doesn't have a Bluetooth PAN option either

How can I get the Bluetooth PAN to show up?

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 1:49 PM

I have contacted Apple regarding this issue and today (2021-12-17) was told by their senior advisor that Bluetooh PAN HAS BEEN REMOVED from MacOS Monterey. There are no plans to add this feature back.

29 replies

Nov 5, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Rob_H1

Hey Rob, thanks for replying

The issue isn't with my phone or carrier, it's with the Macbook Pro. There's no Bluetooth Interface on the Mac for me to even attempt to connect to Bluetooth on my phone. Bluetooth PAN should be available as one of the Interface dropdown menu options, but it's not there.

You can see from Sasdee's response https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253312557?answerId=256224054022#256224054022 that it isn't carrier or device specific, instead it's an issue with the Macbook's software

Mar 3, 2022 4:29 AM in response to iwllyu

Hello,

Does this affect the Bluetooth connection between a Mac and iPhone for example?

With previous macOS versions, I did had any problems.

Now I'm unable to connect an iPhone to my MacBook.

I've tried everything. The iPhone seems to connect for 2 seconds and then the connection drops.

Please give me some answers about this. Are you planning to fix it in the next update?

I've already read a lot of comments about it and no responses from Apple Support.

Thank you in advance

Dec 15, 2021 4:40 PM in response to iwllyu

Have the same issue. PAN connection not even an option.

I use this all the time on long haul trains to pair two internet sources to the Mac.

I then bond the services using Speedify.com. As each service is with a different carrier tower handoff rarely occurs at the same time and I get a perfectly stable and fast bonded internet connection when all the other passengers don't even bother trying to connect inside a tin can going 110kms.

For now I have to plug one source in via USB.

I wouldn't complain about wires but this is a $6k computer. For that money, I expect far better than this.

Lift your game and prioritise this issue Apple.

Anyone in the live streaming business who uses bonded connections will be having this issue.

You make computers for media professionals. You need to think of uncommon edge-case uses like bonded streaming if that is your target market.

Mar 11, 2022 3:05 AM in response to iwllyu

I spend more then an hour in a support chat with apple on this. Have to say really helpful and willing but NO solution nor a clear answer. I cannot believe they took Bluetooth PAN option out of the OS but do not admit that while keeping me trying stuff for more then an hour. Is there an official release notification on this? I have two new machines (1x M1 Max 16" and 1x M1 mb air. Both running Monterey 12.2.1. Go figure the costs of this. I heavily depend on bluetooth PAN for art installations and other professional situations in which wifi freq bands are not possible to use and cables are impossible. Or situations in which multiple phons are connected via PAN connections while still using a wifi connection. Next to the convenient energy savings when on long train rides using bluetooth instead of wifi.

Please offer a solution for this apple! Or make it easy to downgrade to Big Sur!

Oct 31, 2021 12:53 PM in response to iwllyu

Hey there iwllyu,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that Bluetooth PAN is not showing up for you. We're happy to provide some assistance.

As mentioned in Use a mobile phone to connect your Mac to the internet , "This feature may not be available with all carriers." Is this feature available with your carrier?

If so, test to see if this works on another Mac to help isolate the issue.

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Nov 3, 2021 5:59 PM in response to sasdee

I have the same issue, it seems like Bluetooth PAN is completely broken on my 16 inch M1 pro Macbook Pro (Monterey 12.0.1)

I've tried pairing 3 iPhones via bluetooth to set up a Bluetooth PAN, they all refuse to pair. (iOS 15.0, 15.1)

Tethering via bluetooth hotspot DOES work, so it's not that bluetooth is completely broken, manual pairing and bluetooth PAN are broken.

The same iPhones paired fine on an Intel mac and Bluetooth PAN works as normal.

I've attached a screenshot from the iPhone side when I try to pair via bluetooth.

Dec 12, 2021 5:53 AM in response to elscarls

I have the exact same issue with my M1 pro MacBook, no bluetooth pan in network settings. iPhone won't personal hotspot via bluetooth 'MacBook Pro 2021 not supported'

Personal hotspot works fine via USB and WIFI, so a bluetooth issue with the new MacBooks. Was on the phone to apple support for a long time and was told that bluetooth tethering is not supported on Mac only windows?!

Dec 23, 2021 12:56 PM in response to ridgepost

That doesn't make sense to me, I have two pros, one with the m1 and the other with intel, both of them with Monterey. For the one with intel the Pan is working as expected, but for the case of m1 it's not working. I have to agree with previous comments, those laptops are not cheap, we are paying a bunch and at least we expect to have the features that cheaper laptops has.

Bluetooth Pan is missing on new Macbook Pro 14 with MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.