Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchID stopped working

TouchID on my 2021 iMac X1 worked perfectly until I upgraded to Monterey. Now it refuses to work.

I (possibly wrongly) assumed, that I needed to register a new fingerprint for some reason. So I tried to add one using "Add fingerprint" in the settings. I entered my password manually. All I get is an instant response "Failed: Unable to complete Touch ID enrolment. Please go back and try again." I'm not even led through a process of trying to register the fingerprint. I have tried several times, I even took the option of removing the old fingerprint. Still no go.

Oh dear, this is the sort of thing I heavily overspent my pensioner's budget on this machine to avoid, my sanity having finally reached breaking point after years Windows updates regularly messing everything up and wasting far too much of my time. So far it has behaved itself perfectly and been a joy to use.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 11:18 AM

Magic! Yes it is the magic keyboard that came with the machine and plugging it in solved the problem. I had already checked that it was 70% charged, so I am not sure what the problem was.

However, I can now get back in to my own machine without having to sign in again whenever it takes a rest just seconds before I go to use it (I think it’s spying on me from the lens at the top).

Thank you very much for rescuing me.

Michael

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 11:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

Magic! Yes it is the magic keyboard that came with the machine and plugging it in solved the problem. I had already checked that it was 70% charged, so I am not sure what the problem was.

However, I can now get back in to my own machine without having to sign in again whenever it takes a rest just seconds before I go to use it (I think it’s spying on me from the lens at the top).

Thank you very much for rescuing me.

Michael

TouchID stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.