Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Does is save music playlists?

I'm FINALLY using Time Machine to back up my iMac regularly.

I do Zoom dance parties 5 days a week. Each dance party has a saved playlist in my Music library. If I need to restore my iMac from my Time Machine backup, do you know whether my playlists will be restored also? If not, I need to find a way to capture this info separately as I refer back for song ideas often.

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 2:12 PM

Hello Mizk1313.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you would like to know if music playlists saved in your Music library will be backed up with Time Machine. We will be glad to assist.

Yes. If the playlists are saved in your Music library, they will also be backed up with Time Machine.

For more information on what Time Machine backs up, see: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Cheers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 2:12 PM in response to Mizk1313

Hello Mizk1313.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you would like to know if music playlists saved in your Music library will be backed up with Time Machine. We will be glad to assist.

Yes. If the playlists are saved in your Music library, they will also be backed up with Time Machine.

For more information on what Time Machine backs up, see: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Cheers.

Nov 1, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Mizk1313

To add to ManJor's information: The playlists are not stored as separate entities, but if you restore the library from Time Machine, you will see the playlists as they were at that point in time.

If you would like to separately save a listing of a particular playlist, open the playlist and choose File > Library > Export Playlist, and for the format choose "Text." That creates a file that you can store for future reference. Reminder: this process is creating a listing of the songs, not saving the audio files!

Time Machine - Does is save music playlists?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.