Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All desktop files hidden after Monterey update

After launching Monterey, all my desktop files were invisible. Panic. It took a while to realize they were hidden, and Command-Shift-Period made them all visible. But none of these files or folders start with a period. And I don't want to see all the hidden files in every finder window. If I type Command-Shift-Period again, of course all the normally hidden files vanish, and so do all my desktop files. What's going on? How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 4:46 PM

Check to see if you have iCloud Drive enabled and Desktop & Documents also. That would be in the System/Apple ID preference pane and then in the iCloud Drive Options pane.

Sometimes it gets enabled during a system upgrade or update.

Similar questions

36 replies

Jan 31, 2022 10:22 AM in response to deflumeri

If you can see the documents in the iCloud then you must have iCloud Drive enabled. Check the Finder view preferences and check the iCloud Drove checkbox if it's available. Then you should be able to access the documents via a Finder window:

If you don't want the drive activated Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and uncheck iCloud Drive again. Reboot normally.

Feb 19, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Raja Hornstein

Just updated to 12.2.1 and I am having the same issue with nothing appearing on my desktop itself for easy access I see the files in my folders inside of finder but the desktop is just barren. I am unsure of what was done with the update or how to correct that.Mind you that even this screen shot shows up in the actual desktop folder as well so I know that the desktop is active and is being updated.

Feb 19, 2022 10:51 AM in response to bobbuick

Since iCloud drive is just a syncing feature any file on the drive will be mirrored on your Mac. It will be located in the Home/Library/Mobile Documents folder.

If you click on the iCloud Drive icon in the sidebar does't you see what's in the drive, i.e. the Desktop folder. Or you can double click on the Mobile Documents folder in the Library and see what's in there.

Feb 19, 2022 11:00 AM in response to Old Toad

everything is already mirrored in my finder folder I can see everything that was put on my desktop in the finder folder as you can see in the screenshot, but the actual desktop itself has no icons all of the were erased from it, so I have no folders out in the open any longer. I also see everything that is a 1 for 1 of my desktop layout in the Icloud folder so I know that it has synched and was downloaded after the update. I am just lost on why the folders were deleted from the physical desktop, and how to get them to reappear short of dragging them back out onto it.

Feb 19, 2022 11:20 AM in response to KevinCantDance

Found the item below using an online search. It may be worth a try.

In Monterey OS 12, I was able to solve this sync issue under: Apple> About this MAC> Storage tab> Manage> Recommendations> Store in iCloud... it synced up on my computer to my iCloud. I struggled and thought I would share this information because I had the iCloud set correctly in iCloud preferences and it did not sync. This is under System Information when you click the apple icon. It seemed to be what pushed the computer to show my files!

Oct 30, 2021 7:05 PM in response to Old Toad

I don't have Desktop and Documents turned on in iCloud Drive. Long talk with Apple Support, but they couldn't figure it out so far. Normally, hidden files begin with a "." and they also have the Unix flag "hidden". I changed the flag on one of the invisible files using "chflag nohidden" in Terminal, but it still acts as if it is a hidden file, i.e. it's greyed out and becomes visible/invisible if I type Command-Shift-Period.

Nov 3, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Raja Hornstein

I have had the same problem happen to me. Did you find a resolution? When attempting to update, I downloaded the installation file to an ssd drive (that contains all of my files I work with regularly) and everything worked until it tried to install. It restarted once, then one more time before booting up like normal... except now, all of my files were hidden like you said and I only found them by searching for a folder name I remembered. The installation failed and the reason given was that there was only a partial installation file found on the drive and I have to wipe the drive clean and start over to resolve. I'm currently trying to move all of my files (1.2 terabytes) onto another location and try the whole wipe, then reattempt.

Jan 9, 2022 2:30 PM in response to bobbuick

If you have iCloud Drive enabled then you always have a copy of all Document and Desktop files on your computer. Just setup iCloud Drive in the Finder preferences as I showed in my previous post.

iCloud Drive is designed to sync files between devices that are logged into the same iCloud ID account and have iCloud Drive enabled. It's also designed that you always have a recent copy of any file on your hard drive even if there's no internet connection available.

Jan 18, 2022 8:26 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi, All my desktop files disappeared after the Monterey 12.1 update. I am trying to understand how to find them and put them back on the desktop by reading these responses, but I am an old lady and can't always follow. I went into Finder and I see that the "iCloudDrive" is checked. However no other screens drop down on my desktop computer. Would it be possible to share step by step instructions on how to get my desktop files back on my desktop? (I tried to set up an appointment with Apple and after going through all the steps they said that they couldn't do it.)

Grrr. Thank you!

All desktop files hidden after Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.